Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

which is better for metal-ibanez or warwick?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flames, Jul 1, 2001.

1. flames

flames Guest

Jun 30, 2001
    my house
    which is better for metal? i wont a thick sound and
    can make bass cords sound better

2. 7

Dec 23, 2000
    ibanez suck with exception of the btb 500 or 1000 and the atk series but they are cheap ass basses but if you want a good sounding bass the warwick would be beter i would like to own one but it cost too much for me so im gonna build me a custom warmoth for less than a warwick but if thats what you got your heart set one go for it

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    If Ibanez's "suck" so bad, why haven't they gone out of business yet? :rolleyes: They've only been making basses for over 30 yrs.

I recomend a Spector NS-CR model. IMO, it sounds like what you're looking for.

4. GroovBs

GroovBs

Jun 30, 2001
    Alabaster,AL
    I'm not into this type of music.....but I can not stand Ibanez.......I think they are still around is because peolple don't know better. Warwick is an excellent choice though. They're kindda like a Music Man.....they can do all!!

5. Yeah, a Music Man Stingray 4 can do it all...:rolleyes:

You're the one who doesn't know any better.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Welcome to Talkbass, flames.:)

The Ibanez BTB400, 405 and 406 are great basses for the money. The Ergodyne series are OK, not a big fan of the Soundgears.

Warwick makes some good basses too.

A big difference between the brands is the neck profile.

The Ibanez Soundgear and Ergodyne have narrow, shallow profile necks. The BTB has a very wide, shallow neck.

The Warwicks have a medium width neck, but it is very deep. Kinda like a baseball bat.

You should go and compare the necks and see what feels good to you, then plug in the basses that you like through a rig similar to or exactly like your own. Take your rig when you are ready to buy, and listen to the bass that you like best through it and make sure it sounds as good as it did through the store's rig.

Let your ears and your hands make the decision.:)

7. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    I own a Ibanez ATK 300 and it is the most versatile bass I have ever tried.
    But for metal particuarly? I don't know.

/lovebown

8. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    My ATK400 is coming in two week :)

9. Ibanez sucks for metal ?? hmm weird.. then how do you explain that a whole lot of leading metalbands use Ibanez ?

I have an EDC705, and for me.. it's the best f###ing metalbass !!

Don't know about the (G)SR series, but the BTB, EDB and EDC ( :D ) have the best metalsound, if you use the equalizer properly.

oh yeah.. embellisher.. the EDB and EDA have thin necks, but the EDC actually has a pretty thick neck..not as thick as the BTB, but it's quite thick..

about the sound.. I had a BTB400 for 3 days, and now i have an EDC705, but the sound of them isn't that much of a difference.. the EDC has a little more low's and the BTB had a little more mids..

One thing i must say about the BTB, they look, sound and are (!) great basses, but if you have a fat belly like me.. better bring a strap to the store and try him out while standing first.

10. i dont know all that much about basses coz i havnt been playing all that long, but ive tested out loads of ibanez and warwick basses and i have to say, for playability and sound the ibanez range win hands down.

even if u compair the really cheap ibanez gsr series to the better ranges of warwick, ibanez come out on top for me.

I like to listen to and play metal like oms, metallica, deftones, slipknot etc. and i bought an ibanez for the reasons i said above, and im glad i did.

11. You rule ! deftones whoops butt !

oy yeah.. welcome to talkbass :D

12. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Embelisher, you the man. Something I can definately say about you, is that in 90% of your posts you answer the question with a great deal of useful data. :)

Just regarding sound, I like the Fender P-Bass sound for what you are decribing.

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks for the compliment, Gabu.:)

I just feel that it's helpful to share relevant knowledge instead of saying 'Brand X sucks!'

Where do I send the check?;)

14. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Isnt the ATK400 a Guitar??

15. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    i think so, a paul gilbert model at that... (maybe)

16. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    ATK's are basses, Paul Gilbert's models start w/his initials. Example PG500
    Personally, I don't particulary like Ibanez basses. They definitly don't suck. If you're gonna say that they suck, you just show your ignorance. I don't think thay're still around because the rest of us "don't know any better." They're around because they offer something different that a Fender @ a good price.

I <b>really dislike</b> Warwick basses. I've never played one that I've liked & I must of played 20-30. Do they suck? ABSOLUTLY NOT!!!!!! They just don't have what I want in a bass. Does that mean that it's something you don't want? NOPE. Alot of people have Warwicks. Do they not know any better?

17. I feel pretty much the same as Nino when it comes to Warwick, I hate the 'sound of wood'. Except, I like Ibanez. I'm not keen on the SDGR, but the BTB's kick serious booty. I don't like how Warwick are so damned expensive. Did you know you can get a hand-built Alembic for around the same price as a Thumb 4? That pisses me off.

18. I SO was going to say that. Oh well, I second Gabu's idea.

19. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Once a year you know where to send that twenty smackers. :) Same place we all send it. :D My guitarist just bought an Ibenez semi acoustic guitar for $60 on ebay... That's awesome! Now I can play my ABG with his AG.

It looks rad.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1442832550

20. Nino, what you said about Warwick is sooo true. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean they suck. Personally I hate the way Warwicks look (although they are growing on me) and since I've never played one I won't really have a valid opinion until I do. But lets say I hate a Streamer that I try. I still know that is a high quality bass. I don't really like Pedullas either except for the Rapture J2(I've never played one of those either) but I recognize the quality of the basses they make. I think you put it best in your post. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it sucks.

btw, Ibanez sucks ;)

:)