1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Which is better for my Yamaha trade in?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Skyman721, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Skyman721

Skyman721

Oct 30, 2016
    S.E. Wisconsin
    hello all,
    Noobie here- just starting out. I have a Yamaha RBX360 right hand, restrung for me left handed. Im having a difficult time learning on it because i cant use the strap and the knobs are in the way.
    2 different local shops have used left handers. One shop has a used Ibanez SR300L for $199- with some surface blemishes. The other shop has a used Traben Sun in terrific condition for $299.
    Im trying not to, "buy cheap, buy twice..". I've read only good reviews of this model Ibanez, and some mixed reviews of the Traben. I dont know if the Trabon comes with superior components, as its listed at $600 plus new.
    Any help would be appreciated!
    Thanx all!

2. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I can give you my impression of both basses, I've had both - an Ibanez SR300 and a Traben Sun. I'm a leftie myself but play right handed.
    Now I highly recommend trying both and see how they feel, play and sound to you, as ultimately my opinion may be different to yours.
    Between the two, I prefer the Ibanez because 1) it's lighter 2) the neck is slimmer 3) it has more tonal range - I'm a funk player so usually play with more mid. If you're new to the bass, it's a good starter bass that will serve you well as it's versatile.
    The Traben - well......it has that big metal sun plate/bridge on it that supposedly helps in sustaining a note (to be honest with you..it wasn't really that big of a deal). Sound is pretty muddy and even though it has five knobs and 3 band EQ similar to the SR300, it didn't seem to have the ability to get as wide of a range of tone, it might have been the pickups more than anything. It also wasn't comfortable for slapping (it's a 35 inch scale so string tension is a little tighter not quite suitable for funk but perhaps would be better suited for a pick player). The bass itself feels unwieldy - I really wanted to keep the bass because of the unique look but ultimately, as a player, it lagged behind my other basses in sound and quality so I ended up trading it.
    Again, these are my impressions so take it for what it is, I highly recommend trying both yourself.

3. dagovna659

dagovna659

Mar 2, 2011
    New Jersey
    Hi, both are good basses. However if you intend on modding in the future(pups,preamp,bridge) I'd go with the ibanez. I have a Traben Chaos V 5 string that I bought from GC in 2004 that is still a workhorse no problems
    at all it has a monsterouse tone ,light and really sits in the mix very well, I beleive it has the Aguillar OBP3 in it
    Its one of my goto basses. Good luck

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 15, 2021