Which is better for punk?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PuNk BaSSisT, May 13, 2001.

1. Fender Presicion Bass

114 vote(s)
  2. Fender Jazz Bass

25 vote(s)
  3. Music Man Stingray 4

98 vote(s)
  1. PuNk BaSSisT

PuNk BaSSisT

May 1, 2001
    In your opinion, which of these 3 basses do you think would have the best tone for punk music?
  2. I voted for the Stingray, because you can get such a wide array of tones out of it, and a lot of punk bands do use them nowadays.
  3. Precision;
    Paul Simonon (The Clash), JJ Burnel(The Stranglers) and Bruce Foxton(The Jam- first used Rick 4001, then switched to P bass) all got great tones out of them.
  4. go for the stingray defintitely. it has the best in your face punk tone ever
  5. As much as I love Jazz basses, Im gonna vote for the Stingray. It has a monster tone and its really loud.
  6. Man...ANYTHING can be used for punk (IMO). I'd just turn up the tone and mess with the stuff to make it more trebly.

but i voted for the JB because it's what i have and i love it. Plus, i can play anything from dub to punk to throat ripping emo. it's a pretty versitile bass, imo.
  7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Rough call. I own a P, I own a MM and I play punkish stuff.

Jazz bass loses :(.

MM wins if yer playin with yer fingers :oops:.

P-bass if yer playin with a pick :).
  8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Precision is to punk as Levi Strauss is to jeans - not necessarily the best, but the standard by which all others are judged.

So, Precis for classic punk, the Ray for modern punk.
  9. Yeah, my first impretion when i see a stingray is "oh god, its going to suck" it doesnt suck all the time, but if its a precision, I know they mean business. This is all opinion, and for the record, I use both a jazz and a P for my punk stuff

Mar 3, 2001
    Ada, Ok
    I have a p-bass, i have a j-bass, i want a mm. And I'd Play all of them so i could look cool switching basses every other song :)
  11. hehe ..mike herrera has like 3 EB musicmans (which i swear are all the same except with different colors) and he switches to a different one after every song. i find that pointless.

one other person besides me prefers the jazz...::sigh::
  12. The jazz is super duper great for punk! Hey, the guy for Sum-41 uses a j, although the band is really bad, emphasis on really, and the bassist is even worse. On stage the guy seems like 6'5, but its only cause the rest of them are like 5 feet tall. I saw a commercial for them on MTV today, and thogh "oh god, please dont let them get big, they really dont deserve it, theyre just riding the pop wave"
  13. PuNk BaSSisT

PuNk BaSSisT

May 1, 2001
    You couldn't be more wrong about Sum 41. It hurts my head when you say something like that.

P.S: Uninformed opinions suck.
  14. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    i voted jazz, but thats just imo. what is an example of the kinda tone you are looking for? a specific band in mind?
  15. Well, Paul Simonon and Sid Vicious and the guy from Green Day, in the Minority video, all used a P Bass. My Yamaha is most like the P bass, same pickup configuration, and it gets good punk tone, when I need it.
  16. Um, its not an uninformed opinion, I saw them play in January with Flogging Molly, they were tenn pop. They sound exactly like Fenix TX, and thats what they are, teen pop. I swear half the people at the show went outside to have a smoke when they came on. It actually pained me to see the jazz being used that way.

Of course, this is all opinion, so if you like them, or Fenix TX, then good for you.

I cringe when I hear people call that stuff punk
  17. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I agree, although I think the P-bass works better for stuff like pop-punk and stuff that's not exactly like raging with energy. The Stingray's really "in your face" so it's good for the really energetic stuff.
  18. Reid

Aug 25, 2000
    Oakville, Ontario
    hm, what happened to my post here before?
    oh well
    cone from sum 41 uses a pbass.
  19. I have to disagree, IMO P's are for more traditional punk, stingrays are for newer, brighter stuff.
  20. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Stingrays are generally used in newer punk, yeah... I agree. And you'd imagine that a P would be used best in older punk, although it seems that it's best used in pop-punk bands. And it seems that the Stingrays are best used in more energetic punk... (like anti-flag)

I'm agreeing with your theory. Just that I think the genre of music with the p's a little off. I'm sure it'd sound good for traditional punk and all, although there's no band that's really *traditional punk*.