Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which is Better: Grendel 5 v. Stingray 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickreyn, Aug 17, 2001.

1. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Trying to find out if I should acquire a Grendel 5 for evaluation against Musicman 5. If I had all the money in the free world, I wouldn't worry. I just want to know prior to if it's worth the hassle of all the resulting transactions.

2. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    My guess is you'll get far more votes for the Stingray because they're more widely distributed.

I've never had the pleasure of playing the Grendel, but I bet it's a darn fine bass. Never cared for Stingrays much.

3. Buy USA! or German, or English.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Why?

5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    You beat me to it--that's exactly what I was going to ask.

6. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Buy American theme coming.

7. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    the gredel 5's are great sounding and playing basses, but it has an entirely different sound than a stingray 5. i couldnt really recommend one over the other, but for me the ray 5 is a little more comfortable, yet i like the sound of the grendel more.

8. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

Hey Rick,

Some more thoughts on the Grendel vs. Stingray thing:

The Grendel is 35" scale - I'd prefer that myself as I'm partial to heavier strings just to keep a 34" scale E from being too floppy. I've got a 35" scale 4 string on order to try out BEAD on it.

The Grendel has a zero fret - something I really like as I'm lazy enough to use open strings.

I love the truss rod adjustment wheel on the Stingrays. I haven't adjusted the rods on my Beasts - I know the adjuster is at the body end of the neck under a small cover but I haven't taken the cover off either of them yet.

The Grendel has a wider string spacing which you may or may not like. I can't handle a 5 regardless so I have no opinion.

If you like jazz-bass sounds then try the Grendel. I doubt if you'd be disappointed. I personally prefer the jazz-config to the Stingray (which I found out when I got my first Beast and promptly sold the Stingray). The Stingray was heavier and little less speedy on the neck but they were both 4's which won't apply to you. The Beast has a satin finish neck that feels just like the oil&wax finish on the Stingray (something I really like). Of course now I'm looking to move one of the Beasts so I can add a P/P-J bass to the (very small, currently 3) collection.

9. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    A couple of things that I like about the Stingray. We play about a 25 minute set. We may do a rousing funky gospel tune at the beginning, followed by a contemporized hymn, than another high energy song or two, then down to a ballad, and then back up again for a big Broadway show finish. This is all continuous and I do not have time to switch basses. So I was looking for versatility on the fly. With the Stingray, I've got three quick fixes with the switch and a quick adjustment to the mids for slap and pop sounds to the fat Creed sound with lots of mids. I also play with my fingers and a pick (only when I have to), and I like the dynamics of playing right over the big pickup and the big hand rest (bridge) for picking. Most of recent basses have had the J/J set up and I haven't been able to achieve the dynamics with my soft style of play that I have with the MM. Now I know the Grendel's pickups are a lot better than any of the one's I've had before (Barts), so I know that I will probably be impressed, and I hear that the B will be great due to the 35' scale. The electronics offer a three-way switch for the same effect as what I am doing with the midrange control, but the Grendel is a 2-way system. So, it's a matter of buy the bass for a head to head comparison, or stick with the MM for now and wait for another chance to drive to Orlando on another hunting expedition. What's a zero fret?

10. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

A zero fret is a fret right in front of the nut - the zero fret stops the string for height and the nut keeps it located side-to-side. That way the string height is always "perfect" (since it's resting on a fret) and the sound of an open string should be closer to the sound of a fingered note since the string is still stopped by a fret (albeit without a finger behind it). I think Micheal Tobias likes them as all current MTDs use them (I don't know about older Tobias basses).

I can't say much of anything about the type of sonic versatility you are going for. I'm a set-it-and-forget-it kind of player. I set my Beast with the neck pickup favored and then vary the tone by where on the string I pluck (no slap, no pick - fingers only right now).

I think the single coil Barts are the "clearest" pickups I've ever used. They also provide decent jazz-growl and punch. However trying the Grendel by buying might be painful for you if you don't like it - they are not particularly common and trying to resell it might be painful. That was a benefit when I was buying my Beasts through ebay and the closeout but may bite me now that I'm thinking about moving one of them.

Good luck in making your decision. It's all fun. If you do go on a bass search try a G&L L2500 (if you haven't before). The L2000 I traded was one of the most sonically versatile basses I've come across. I loved it, the neck just wasn't quite right for me.

11. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    If you like the strings spacing (I do), you can't go wrong with a 'Ray 5. One of my favorite basses and a much wider variety of tones than is sometimes claimed. Great resale value, too, if you don't like it.

12. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    That's one thing I forgot to mention previously. I love the feel of the MM neck and the extra room. I am thinking about staying with the future plan of getting a Lakland and buying a fretless instead. I am concerned with resale value since I don't seem to stay put too long.