Which Is Better? Mesa Walkabout, Ampeg SVT, Ampeg V4B, Mesa TT-800

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Silas Caldwell, Aug 29, 2021.

Which amp would work best for my situation?

This poll will close on Aug 29, 2023 at 1:26 PM.
  1. Mesa TT-800

49 vote(s)
    52.1%
  2. Ampeg SVT

27 vote(s)
    28.7%
  3. Ampeg V4B

10 vote(s)
    10.6%
  4. Mesa Walkabout

8 vote(s)
    8.5%
  1. Hello Talkbass!

After going through different rig setups, I have had my eye on these specific amps. Any advice on these particular amps?

First, for perspective, I usually play in mid-to-large size venues. I've never used larger than a 2x12 cabinet but would love to scale up to at least 4x10 or even 6x10. I've fallen in love with these amps due to their massive clarity and low end sound.

Mesa TT-800
    Ampeg SVT
    Ampeg V4B
    Mesa Walkabout

All opinions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Gluvhand

Gluvhand Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Rockland County, NY
    If weight is a consideration, TT-800. If not, SVT, IMO.

Jefus, el murdoque, G On Bass and 4 others like this.
  3. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    It depends on how much power you want and does the tone need to be clean.
    V4B was the best sounding amp I ever owned but 100 watts wasn't enough clean headroom.
    With a 1x15 or even 2x12, the Walkabout or SVT (had them both) sound really good but at the edge of clean power as I recall. I think these would be just fine with an efficient 6x10 and maybe even 4x10.
    Never tried the TT800 although I am more interested in the WD800 based on reviews and clips.

lomo and DrThumpenstein like this.
  4. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    into an 810? A pair of 212’s?

5. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Not enough into a TL606 1x15, 2x15 (old Altecs) or GB 2x12 for clean headroom
    Never tried 4x10 or bigger

6. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I’ve never had a problem with a V4 into an efficient cab/cabs, but maybe I haven’t needed to be as loud as some, or have a higher tolerance for reduced headroom. Everyone’s gigs are a bit different. If you don’t mind the lift an SVT into an efficient modern cab would cover you for any stage not big enough to have full FOH in my experience. I’ve run mine with my berg CN212, that pair can shake a room. If you do mind the lift, the mesas are nice. I’d probably favor the WD over the TT, the walkabout preamp and output damping control catch my interests.

Raw N Low and MattZilla like this.
  7. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    The decision should be based on what you think.

Things to consider:
    1. Does it get loud enough?
    2. Do you like the voicing and the way the rig speaks? This could vary depending on the type of music you are playing. Also consider which amp/cab pairing is ideal. Often the cab makes more of a difference than the amp, and you might choose a different amp, depending upon which cab you are using. When possible choose the amp and cab combination the results in gestalt. You favorite cab my sound awesome with one of these amps, and mediocre with the other three.
    3. Are you willing to deal with the size and weight?

Frankie Fender and MAXSPINRUN like this.
  8. DrThumpenstein

DrThumpenstein Living for the groove Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2015
    St Louis, MO
    Not sure the Walkabout is enough rig for what you’re looking for, but I got the WD800 based on how much I love Walkabout tone and I suggest you give it consideration. Wanting more power and modern features, and being a little concerned about getting an out of production amp, I bought it before it was available to audition around here. I couldn’t be happier. I eventually played the TT and loved it, but not enough to displace the WD.

I voted TT800, based on your list. It’s much more tonally versatile than the Ampegs in my opinion. But you’d do well to check out the WD before you pull the trigger. You didn’t say what kind of music you play, but both of the Mesas cover a LOT of sonic ground. I play a pretty wide range including 70s through current rock, r&b, fusion, reggae, and blues, and the WD gets me where I want to be every time.

Coot, Haroldo, DeepHz and 2 others like this.
  9. joelns

joelns

Mar 10, 2014
    You really haven't provided enough info. Type of music? How big is a "medium to large sized venue"? Is there FOH support and the rig is for stage volume?

10. Rock music, has a PA System always, 200-500 people

11. joelns

joelns

Mar 10, 2014
    In that case, any amp will likely work. You just need to provide for the PA input. It really falls into your tonal preferences and how much weight you want to haul around. I'm really happy with the TT-800. It's light, plenty of amazingly good tones, and has output for the PA. And I don't have to haul around a heavy SVT head or the fridge.

12. WarwickE36

WarwickE36

Oct 28, 2010
    My TT800 might be the only amp I ever need...

13. Thanks for the reply, I've heard this amp is pretty versatile, so it must be possible to dial Ampeg tones using the TT-800. Or does it have it's own unique tones?

14. joelns

joelns

Mar 10, 2014
    Every amp has it's own voice. The only way to get a true Ampeg tone is to use an Ampeg. That's not to say you "need" an Ampeg tone. I would gladly give up that tone to not have to haul 90 pounds of amp and 100+ pounds of cab around. I'm way too old and beat up for that.

I've been chasing a tone in my head for decades, literally. Well, actually a couple of different tones depending on the genre. I play jazz, blues, classic rock, heavier stuff, and even some funk. The 2 channels in the TT really provide the flexibility that I'm looking for. I can have 2 distinct tones or flavors dialed in for a gig or session and not have to play with the amp. The switch is as simple as flipping the channel switch. The amp weighs like 7 pounds. The 1x15 cab I typically use weighs under 40 pounds.

15. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Suspended Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Nothing is better than an SVT, if someone else is moving it around for you. If you're carrying your own gear, go with the TT-800

16. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I've owned all four. I have REALLY enjoyed my time with all four.

Tue TT800 is just too good to ignore for several reasons.

1) The tone can get in tue neighborhood of the other three. Does it "nail" an SVT or Walkabout? Nope. But it gets plenty close enough. And it just sounds ridiculously good.

2) Power. 800 watts will cover any gig you get.

3) Versatility. It has two channels. You can get all vintage on one, amd squeaky clean on the other.

4) Portability. The sucker is ridiculously light.

I still own the Walkabout. I have only kept it for sentimental reasons. I owned a USA SVT-CL when I bought the TT800. I sold isold it soon after.

Get the TT800 and don't look back.

Haroldo, packhowitzer, dbase and 6 others like this.
  17. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Of your choices, I'd roll with the TT. It's more versatile than the SVT. Another good consideration is the D800 Plus.

bassface69 and Silas Caldwell like this.
  18. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Better is subjective. Available and under warranty are both features I'd look for in an amp.
    The newer Mesa amp is sweet and versatile. The SVT is a classic tone and loud as heck. Is weight anything you care about? They're all nice amps.

Mastermold and Silas Caldwell like this.
  19. monkeyfinger

monkeyfinger Moderator Staff Member

I am surprised you listed the Walkabout instead of the WD800.

20. bassfootballguy

bassfootballguy Spectacularly Average Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    A small, small town
    I love the V4B, but as was already stated, it probably won’t carry the venues without consistent PA reinforcement.
    So if PA is a question and weight isn’t an issue, probably an SVT with an 8x10.
    If weight is an issue, probably the high powered Mesa TT.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 19, 2022