Which is Better; Modulus Flea Bass Or Music Man Stingray 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by touchme69, May 19, 2001.

1. touchme69

May 19, 2001
    which is better, i personally prefer the music man because of its low noise phantom coil pikups and its funky slap sound
  2. David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    Hehe, a local music store carries one Music Man 100th NAMM Anniversary Modell. Music Man with Graphite Neck.. best of both worlds..

3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ...hmm....I see that Dirty Road Cola hasn't visited yet...just wait, he'll have an opinion I'm sure ;)

I bet if anyone really wants a Modulus Flea Bass, I can get them a GREAT deal on one!!! :D

If you're making a choice between those two, get the Stingray, you'll thank me.
  4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    We have one of those on the wall at Bass Central. Very interesting bass, but unfortunately it's not for sale. Had two, the other sold in about a half hour once it was available.
  5. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    I'm here! ;)
    If you're trying to decide between the Modulus Flea Bass and a Stingray, well, go for the stingray. I own a Flea Bass but I am sort of angry at my self for not getting "the real deal" as it were. Don't get me wrong, the flea bass is great, its just not as agressive or snappy as the Stingray.

So get the stingray.
  6. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Ditto here. I haven't owned a Flea but did have a Modulus M92 for a while. I much prefer my Stingrays.
  7. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

this topic makes me chuckle. when i asked the same question to the bass central staff, i ended up walking out of the store with a spector!
  8. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

Get the stingray, you will like it !
  9. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Oh! Something I can be of use on!

Well...having tried both back to back (becuase I'm psychic...I knew this question was coming!;):D)

Honestly? I liked the Flea bass better. I thought the sound was a little deeper (which I liked), and a little less snappy. I wan't in a band situation so I don't know the cut it has, but I suspect it's pretty darned good. I think that the sound was mellower(?). It was not as in your face as a stingray, but I really liked that. I really thought they were kind of different beasts. I think the Ray is a great bass, but I find the Flea bass MUCH more agreeable on my front.
  10. Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    I'd say Stingray all the way. It sounds more lively and organic. The Modulus is a bit too refined and dull for my taste. Besides, the Stingray sound has always been one of my favourites and the best way to get there is the real thing.
  11. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

The stingray will get all the sounds you would need . as far as bright I have two stingrays one has a rosewood fingerboard and it is mellow with less snap, the new one I got has a maple fingerboard and it is very bright and snappy. if the mellow/dark sound is what you need try a rosewood, its like day and night as far as sound. and bottom can be added with a turn of your bass knob, and cut the mids just less of flat, try it !
  12. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
  13. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    Definately the Ray, and I believe you asked about the 5 string as well. You will get more range and the real deal and you can get really good deals on Stingray 5's right now too.
  14. I've never played a Modulus 5 string.. only a Fleabass 4, so I can't comment on the B. The B's on all Stingray 5's I've played (including the one I own :) ) are great.. well defined and the string does not feel floppy.

I've played one Fleabass 4 and I dug it's tone and playability. The tone was very clear, although I'm not too sure if it would cut through a band as well as a Musicman. The neck on the FB I played was also very fast and inviting.

That said.. Musicman basses are hard to beat when it comes to mass produced (I guess you could consider MM stuff to be sort of mass produced) instruments. Unless drastic climate changes became a concern to me I'd take a Musicman over a Fleabass, but if someone handed me a FB I wouldn't go selling it.

The above might be a moot point.. If I was touring and I wanted a graphite necked instrument to deal with climate changes I'd probably get a Zon.
  15. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    You mention good deals on Stringray 5's right now.
    Where would you buy one and how much would
    you spend?

16. I am looking for a Stingray also. I am still trying to decide between that and a Warwick Thumb. I want to get both a low sound and a slap sound when i need it so im not sure which to buy, but e-mail me if anyone has any deals on either.
  17. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Riksmusic.com, amigo. Don't delay.