1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

which is better suited for hardcore/convergeish

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by leaveyourwings, Jul 26, 2007.

1. leaveyourwings

leaveyourwings

Jul 26, 2007
    I'm about to join a heavy hardcore band, not unlike converge, and I have two basses at my disposal, a fender deluxe jazz and a deluxe special. Which do think is better suited for the job? I'll be running it through an SVT Pro head and a 4x10 ampeg cab.

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Play what YOU like.

3. leaveyourwings

leaveyourwings

Jul 26, 2007
    well the special definitely punchs a little harder, which sounds great at practices, and the jazz sounds thicker. (with a little minus punch)

my concern is that what will sound goodin the space won't sound as good in live applications. and we don't have any shows booked for until the fall.

the special rules the practices space, but i know i'll be safe with the jazz.

would a little more fine tuning of the EQ help give the jazz more punch?

4. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    Why not take them both to the gigs, do a sound check and se which one sounds better.

Then have a friend stand at the back of the room and see if the bas you use is cutting it.

Or you could just turn the volume waaay up.....:D

5. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Punch is an important, yet very subjective term--but since both basses are active (IIRC), you should to be able to dial-in close to what you want from either bass.

I have noticed that the bass sound I get at rehearsals will probably be the sound the rest of the ensemble expects at performances. I try to avoid surprises when going from practices to performing. Also, my own comfort with one bass over another is important in helping make my live performances more relaxed, and fluid.

Simply put, the fewer things to think about besides the actual musical moment I am in, the better. If I am thinking "hmmnnn....maybe I should have used that other instrument," I will not be playing my best. :p

6. leaveyourwings

leaveyourwings

Jul 26, 2007
    There is nothing worse than being on stage asking that question, "do I sound like crap right now?" when really you know your not sounding your best... my friends and I all believe that 80 percent of the reason we make mistakes when we play is because of self-doubt, not lack of ability.

7. leaveyourwings

leaveyourwings

Jul 26, 2007
    Sadly that option isn't a available, I've got a friend selling the Jazz, and another friend selling the special. Both need to get them up on Ebay soon, because of money problems. (one of them just had a kid)

It's just been rough borrowing them because neither wants to let if leave their hands for too long.

I'm thinking the Jazz will be the way I go, the body style feels more comfy.

8. leaveyourwings

leaveyourwings

Jul 26, 2007

That's the solution to all live problems!

And how a band I was in some 7 years ago sold 40 cds in one night to a crowd of maybe 60 kids only playing a 3 song set. It was SLOPPY to the max, because the guy running the show screwed up our time slot and gave us 15 minutes to set up and play... so we just turned up!

9. contakt321

contakt321

Jul 31, 2006
    New York, NY
    It's funny to me, I have a different thought process for live shows. I was a dj touring for years supporting rap artists and my experience was that no matter if you soundcheck or not, 9 times out of 10, unless you are the opening act - you always end up sounding like crap. So I have adopted the philosophy of doing my best to find and keep a consistent, good rig for myself and then not worrying.

AND

About 99% of the crowd wont notice if you are using a Sadowsky outboard EQ, or whatever gizmo you just purchased.

HOWEVER

We all have GAS and should keeping buying ourselves new toys in search of the perfect tone.

10. leaveyourwings

leaveyourwings

Jul 26, 2007
    perfect tone.... should be called holy grail.