Which Is Better The Standard Jazz Bass Or The Mark Hoppus Signature Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BlinkFan123, Jun 24, 2004.

1. BlinkFan123

Jun 24, 2004
    I need To Know Which Is Better The Standard J-Bass Or The Hoppus bass?And Why?
  2. ?? What kind of question is that

Completely different basses.
    Think again.

3. bogart

Dec 11, 2003
    big bear, ca
    First off, those are two different animals. The hoppus bass is a jazz body and neck with a p-bass pickup and a badass II bridge. The standard jazz is exactly that. If you want a snappy bright tone, go for the jazz. If you're lookin for a lil more rock go with the Hoppus. I'd go with the standard jazz and buy a new set of pickups. Last I checked that would be around the same price as the Hoppus. That and personally I refuse to own anything that closely associated with blink-182. ;) But that's me.
  4. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Standard Jazz.

Because it doesn't have anything to do with Mark Hoppus.
  5. Levi

Apr 4, 2004
    jazz, plus i wouldn't buy a signature bass after someone thats not that talented
  6. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois

On top of your reply being quite funny, you're right. On top of that, I don't think Fender's signature basses have that great of a resale compared to the regular J-basses. Not that that matters much if you own it for a long time though. By the way, who the hell is Mark Hoppus?
  7. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Have we nothing better to do than to try and get TB scene points by bashing a guy who isn't great, and doesn't even pretend to be great? The guy is good at what he does. And what he does is just add some bottom to melodic and catchy guitar lines.

In other words; HE DOES HIS JOB.

8. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    The Hoppus is very monotonal.....there is no tone knob. I have talked with people that have bought them and think they're mistakes. If you want a pink/bright blue bass get the Jazz in that finish.

EDIT: Sorry, what I said came out wrong. I mean't if you're wanting the bass for the color then just get the Jazz in that color, but if you're wanting a solid bass get the Jazz anyway :).
  9. Levi

Apr 4, 2004
    hes the guy from blink182 and yeah i really do think a standard j bass would be worth more later
  10. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Since you're a Blink fan, I assume by your name, I think you're interested in the Hoppus purely by name. Go play one, you may like it, you may hate it. If you like the feel, but wish it had a tone knob, anyone with half a brain and a soldering iron should be able to add one for you.

Also, the Hoppus has a Precision neck, which I personally dig. So that may be a mood point for you. Other than the body shape, they're two different monsters. A standard P and a Hoppus are electronically and aesthetically almost the same.
  11. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Jazz all the way. The Mark Hoppus is a one trick, dead pony. Feel free to beat it at will, but I guarentee you it won't satisfy as much as the Jazz.

Also, the Mark Hoppus does not have a Bad Ass II bridge. Its a standard Fender bridge.
  12. The Hoppus doesn't have a tone knob. Better stick to the standard jazz, I'm assuming you don't have the money to buy many basses and the standard can cover a decent variety of tones for you. Jazz basses are great.
  13. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Well odds are though the Mark Hoppus one sounds better, it does have a Seymour Duncan pickup. I'm not a Blink-182 fan, nor a P-bass fan, but Seymour Duncan 1/2 Pound P pickup is a pretty nice pickup. Sure they are two totally different basses, but the Mark Hoppus has a higher quality pickup. Really though, it depends on your taste. I suggest play both then choose, thats the fail safe way.
  14. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I think you'll get more flexibility out of the Jazz, honestly. And by that I mean that because you've got two different pickups that you can blend outputs from as well as a tone knob for more tweaking, you'll have a lot more options for what kind of sound that bass is gonna make for you. The Hoppus, I think, is probably quite a bit more limited than a standard Jazz.

Don't shop for resale value, though. Shop for what really grabs you and won't let you go. You may play the Hoppus sig and love it, or you may play the Hoppus sig and hate it. You may find you hate both of them and never want to play a Fender. That's cool, there's lots of different manufacturers. Shop for what you fall in love with in your price range, and go from there.
  15. lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    as far as i know the Hoppus has no Badass II bridge...its a string thru.

The Hoppus isnt that bad of a bass. Tried one at GC. Depends on the tone you're looking for. Its Basslines 1/4 lb PU and no tone knob isnt for everyone. And you need a huge set of cojones to play a pink body on stage.
  16. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    this is the most clever P vs J thread title I've seen in a while
  17. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    I take back my insult on whoever dude is anyway. If he does his job and makes a living at it, right on. After all, he's one of your bass brothers right?
  18. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The Jazz.

Because if you're 32/33 years old like Hoppus and you can't play any better he can, you ought to kill yourself or take up the tambourine. :D
  19. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    yup, it's pretty much just a P v J thread, with a little Blink 182 bashing on the side for good measure :)

out of the two, i'd personally get the Hoppus, because it's got the grindy P-bass Quarter Pound sound I can use - the Jazz is the more versatile choice though... it's only drawback in my mind is that it doesn't sound like a P-bass :)