Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which is better to upgrade. OLP or Essex?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bradweiser, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a cheap bass and then upgrading it over time.

I can get an Essex jazz here in Australia for $299 or an OLP MM2 Stingray for $399.

Basically, in the work that some of you guys have done on these cheaper basses, which one turned out best?

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I'd get the SX - it is cheaper to get replacement pickups for a JB in Aus than a Ray. Also, bridges are more readily available for a JB etc.

BTW dont buy pickups or birdges from Australia, get them shipped from the US or off the bay, you will save yourself a lot of dosh! :)

3. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Well... I can give you half an answer....

I took a SJB-75 SX jazz.... slapped some Dimarzio Model J's in it, a push/pull pot to give me series/parallel control over the pups, and some better strings. Now it's a tone monster.

Haven't fooled with an OLP. But - do you prefer the Stingray sound, or the Jazz?

4. Yeah, agreed. Purely from an upgrade point of view, the SX will give you more options as more parts are readily available.

I've got an SX fretless jazz, put some replacement pups in it just for fun, and have a new bridge on the way from the US.

I think the OLP mm2 is a good value bass, and I think I'll get one soon, but I'd say you'll have more luck upgrading the SX if a project bass is your goal.

;)

5. Get the SX...you'll have $100 available for upgrades...

I've played the OLP MM2 and I love it. But it is limited to that Ray sound (not that that is bad) but it is limited and you will remain limited to just a couple of sounds.

The SX Jazz is much more flexible and with upgrades even MORE flexible.

6. I was leaning towards the Essex, due to what you've all said (availability of parts).

I am toying with the idea of an Essex P though.

7. The availability of parts and price arguments still stand.

8. warnan

warnan

Mar 1, 2004
    Shanghai,China
    'farida' guitar also from China is the best choice ,hiahia
    better than sx

9. darkfish01

darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    What exactly is the "stingray" sound everyone is talking about?

10. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Just play a stingray and ull know. (but dont go thinkin theyre one trick ponys)

11. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Let me just say that I've installed Dimarzio P/J pups in my SX PJ and it's now fat, warm, thumpy, and I haven't even replaced the stock strings yet. They are some wimpy ass strings to begin with.. When I replace the bridge it'll be great.

12. Dont mean to hijack the thread, but do you by any chance have any MP3s of this setup on the 75?? I have the 75 also and am considering the same upgrade but would like to know how it sounds..

13. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    bobby, I don't have a 75, but I made a Dimarzio upgrade, and I can guarantee you'll notice the difference. My single Dimarzio J pup has more thump AND fat, round tone than both the stock P and J pups. Add a P pup, or give it an additional J pup and you can imagine it only gets better. It's worth it, imo. The bass is already a steal anyways :hyper: