Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

which is better??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ilovefruitpie, May 6, 2004.

1. ilovefruitpie

ilovefruitpie

Apr 23, 2004
    i have an epiphone thunderbird and i want to get either a mim standard fender jazz or p-bass but i cant decide which one. i play mostly punk stuff liek rancid or green day and a bunch of stuff. either one i would put a leo quann badass II on it and some seymour duncan quarter pounders. thanks.

2. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Welcome to talkbass -

In my opinion the jazz is the better of the two basses you are looking at. BUT there are hundreds of opinions out there.

Try using the search function on the upper right hand of the screen, type in "pbass vs. Jbass" or similar. There are literally hundreds of thread on the subject.

Good Luck. :p

3. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I have 3 suggestions of the P-bass persuasion.

Mark Hoppus Bass (Mex made, J body, P neck, and P Quarter Pounder pickup).

Mike Dirnt Bass (either Mex or Japanese, old P style body with vintage P pickup with Bad Ass bridge)--very cool looking too in black.

Steve Harris (iron maiden) bass. Japanese made P with Quarter Pounder and bad ass. Excellent axe. BUT, no longer made and hard to find, only one color, might be pricey.

Otherwise I'd either get a Mexican J and upgrade the pickups and bridge down the road or get the Mexican P deluxe (name?). That's the one with the P body with J neck with P&J pickups.

Good Hunting!

r

4. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    MIM Jazz w/a series parallel switch. Sound like a jazz and sound something P-ish when in series. The P will never sound like a jazz, though.

Consider a PJ if you want a combination

5. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    The Mark Hoppus definitely comes to mind..., especially since they offer it in Black now. (can't handle the other colors)

6. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    A J pickup in the bridge would be nice. Otherwise, I say this is the axe yr looking for. Whaddaya think?

Ron

7. I have a MIA Jazz bass, and love it. But if most of your music is punk and things of that nature, I'd definitely go with a P. Just look at Paul Simonon of The Clash... :D

8. I have an MIM jazz, all original but some DR Fat Beams 40-100. With pick, it is very bright. I too thought yeah I'll get that bass and do these upgrades before I'd even seen the thing in the flesh! Try a Jazz and a P, try as many basses in that price range and you do not have to buy there and then.

9. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    I have a MIM Jazz Fender 9050 flats. I can get the P sound pretty close and plenty of Jazz. I also have a MIM P with SD quarter pounder and Badass II bridge Fender 9050 flats on it too. I can get pretty close to the Jazz with it. I think play one of each and see which neck you like. Will stick to I love my Jazz the most for my preferred sound. But the P is a P and the bass is hard to beat.

tk

10. ilovefruitpie

ilovefruitpie

Apr 23, 2004
    thanx for all the advice i'll have to try out one of those mike dirnt basses but i dont liekt he mark hoppus ones as much because the neck is bigger. but i wish i was rich so i could get a mia p-bass and a j haha

11. birdsg

birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England
    I have a MIA Jazz bass and LOVE it....

but from what I have read and heard you cant beat a P for Punk!

Steve

12. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Ok, here's yr axe. You've got yr P body in alder. You've got a comfy J neck. You've got the P&J pickups. Its made in Mexico and I think they even throw in a gig bag. Its yr call whether you think it will benefit much with instulation of a Badass bridge. Otherwise this seems to fit yr bill.

Ron