Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which is harder to create music with Bass or Guitar?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by froggsoldier, Oct 12, 2005.

1. froggsoldier

froggsoldier

Apr 29, 2005
    GA
    I was thinking about it, and the way it was explained to me, bass basically helps pull the band together. Well I wanted to purchase my first guitar, now my older sister has an acoustic guitar, and well it made started me thinking, I have played, little, both types of guitars, bass and not bass guitar, the bass was electric and the other was an acoustic. Well for the main part I will not need an amp, for it is simply for creative reasons, so I am wondering. Since I am wanting to be creative, which is easier for me to just start with my song writing process. Either one would be acoustic, it will just be simpler for me, since I live at home and I am going to college at the moment, I am still living out of boxes, and there is a chance that I will be living in a dorm setting within 2 years, I am going for a 4 year degree. So what would be your answer, and/or suggestion? :bassist: ?

P.S. I really had more fun playing the Guitar, and I know I will never be as creative as Cliff Burtan, He is a legand.

2. urmm... i dont mean to alarm you dude... but your text is PINK AND LARGE.

acoustic guitar will probably do you better

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I've had much greater success attemping any kind of composing or songwriting on a guitar. In my own two hands, the bass never really came out being a compositional instrument.

I would assume that most people find it easier to compose music on a chordal instrument, such as a guitar or piano. I know there will always be exceptions (and, seeing as we're on a bass message board, they'll probably heartily chime in to say so), so take what I say with a grain of salt.

4. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Acoustic guitar will do the job

5. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    Go for the other type - the "not bass guitar."

6. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Bass is certainly harder to compose on, when I write lyrics, I write them, let my guitarist do his stuff then work out the bassline.

7. froggsoldier

froggsoldier

Apr 29, 2005
    GA
    LOL thanks guys, its what I thought just wanted someone to back me up on it. And P.S. I am a girl hence I can use the pink. Ok. Thanks

8. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    It depends.

I can write songs and melodies on bass, but they don't leave much room for accompanying instruments or vocal lines.
    Hmmm...I may try and write a full accompaniment(you know what word I'm trying for) piece on bass.

But general I find it easier to come up with pieces for full band on not bass guitar.

Your font disturbs me greatly

9. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I'm less disturbed now

You should fill out your profile. It says male.

10. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    "Yeaaaah," he says, fingering the valves, "when she gets broken in, a few weeks down the road, this is going to be a nice horn."
    "Sounds like she blows real easy, Diz."
    He fixes me with a stagey stare. "Sheeeeet. Ain't none of them blow easy."
    --Chip Stern, relating a conversation with Dizzy Gillespie.

(from Zen Guitar. So I read cheesy books. What of it?)

11. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV

may I be the firs to say:

Huh? :eyebrow:

12. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    You see, all of them are hard. Right? Like, both bass and guitar. Was it obscure?

13. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    ok, I gotcha.. dig it

14. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    The song tells me what to write. I compose the bass line and program the drum machine. Then I lay it down at home. Take it to my drummer and we re do it with live drums. Then we record it at his place and then I write the lyrics, and then have the guitar player pour on top of it.