1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which is it: Lakland 55-02, or Spector Euro 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bwest9, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Lakland 55-02

19 vote(s)
    47.5%
  2. Spector Euro 5XL

21 vote(s)
    52.5%
  1. bwest9

bwest9

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Loop it and you can have yourself a dance party.

2. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Well, maybe it's just my speakers, but I could barely hear it over the drums. No way I could possibly guess without hearing it better.

3. bwest9

bwest9

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Shoot... it sounds almost obnoxious on my speakers. Are you sure? Try headphones?

4. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    My Guess is Spector Euro5.

Just a guess though...

5. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    well, I had another listen with headphones and it's better, but still not great. I would guess Spector Euro5, seemed to aggressive in the midrange to be a Lakland.

6. bwest9

bwest9

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    You're right; I just listened to it on another system and it’s primarily in one channel and sort of drowned out by the drums. Thanks for listening anyways, I'll record another one, and post it instead.

7. it sounds a little too modern to be the 55-02, def sounds more like EMG's to my ears.

8. bwest9

bwest9

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Ok, just uploaded a new recording in first post that should have bass more prominent. I also threw in an extra bonus treat for any Blazing Saddles fans out there.

9. bwest9

bwest9

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Wow... evenly split at 6 apiece.

10. xjeremiahx

xjeremiahx

Apr 19, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    No longer a slave to GC.
    I just tilted the scales for the spector.

11. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I've never knowingly heard this model of Spector. It does sound too modern for a 55-02 to me, too. But it could be a matter of EQ.

12. bwest9

bwest9

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    I'm tempted to record the other bass with the same line and beat for comparison... but with a different Blazing Saddles sample.

13. ejmy

ejmy

Nov 30, 2008
    Spector without a doubt. Can't get a slap sound like that with my 55-02.

14. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Sounds really processed to me...more than just EQ. Makes it hard to really say.

15. bwest9

bwest9

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Could be... I've attached the other bass, so.... should settle the matter conclusively. Please give a listen.

And I know that taste is subjective, but in any case: which do you like better for slap, the Spector or the Lakland?

I'll tell you this, I think it’s an easier technique to perform on the Spector...

16. bwest9

bwest9

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Actually, I tried to keep the output of each bass equivalent and just went direct using the free "Audacity" multi-tracking software on my computer. Nothing else...

17. ejmy

ejmy

Nov 30, 2008
    Yep, the second clip is the Lakland.
    I would bet a month's pay on it. LOL

18. bwest9

bwest9

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Ha! I figure that would give it up...

19. ejmy

ejmy

Nov 30, 2008
    Personaly. I prefer the spector for slap. Every time I hear a slap sound I crave, It has EMG's. But I prefer my 55-02 for every thing else. Can get just about any tone with a little tweeking.

20. bwest9

bwest9

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Ejmy, I think you just explained to me why I have these two basses. Finger style, I love the Lakland, especially for traditional stuff. The Spector for more modern sounding material, and for slap. Thanks for reaffirming this for me...

:)

Now all I need is a fretless and I SWEAR I'll stop looking at the classified section.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 23, 2020