Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

which is lighter?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by b-ace!, Apr 1, 2005.

Which weighs less?

Poll closed Apr 4, 2005.
  1. MIA Fender Jazz Bass

17 vote(s)
    39.5%
  2. MIA Fender Precision Bass

10 vote(s)
    23.3%
  3. Neither. They both weigh the same

16 vote(s)
    37.2%
  1. b-ace!

b-ace!

Jul 15, 2004
    which instrument weighs less? an American Fender Jazz Bass or an American Fender Precision Bass. thanks :)

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I dont know if one model is consistently heavier then the other, i would think it varys alot.

3. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    My MIM precision is lighter than my MIM fretless jazz. Dunno about the American models, though. They are made from ash and not alder, right?

4. indeed you are correct Snarf. I ahve played both the Jazz and P version. I really cannot tell a difference in weight.

5. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I have found that is varies from bass to bass. My Jazz weighs less than my Precision. My old Jazz weighed more. Go figure :eyebrow:

6. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    You forgot to add the "duck" and the "witch" to your poll choices. :smug:

7. I think the MIA P-bass is lighter than the MIA J-bass. But to each his own. I do know this though, the MIA P-bass I was playing the other night weighs less than my MIM P-bass.

8. My mia p is pretty light. It's lighter than the mia jazz plus I used to have and it's lighter than my stingray.

9. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I should add that my current Jazz is MIA while my Precision is MIM. I had an old Precision that was MIJ and it weighed the same as the MIM.

Dan

10. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
  11. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Seriously though, I don't think you can judge in terms of weight without holding the exact two basses you're thinking of--one in each hand.

There IS a difference in the overall ergonomic feel and balance of the two. Some people like the offset, larger body shape of the jazz. I don't. I prefer the smaller body shape and shorter distance from pickup to upper body contour (hence easier wrist break angle) of the the Precision style body.

12. drd07

drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    Ditto what has been said. Each bass weighs differently, regardless of the type of bass it is. Go check out warmoth.com and look at the weights of the bass bodies in the showcase. You can have a jazz body weigh as light as 3.10lbs or as heavy as 5-6lbs! Also, it doesn't matter if it is ash or alder or any other type of wood. Different pieces of the same wood weigh differently!

13. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    So...

...if it weighs the same as a duck... it must be made of wood...

and therefore...

a witch! burn it! burn it!

[​IMG]

:D sorry, working on a Saturday, gotta have a laugh

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Ach, you beat me to it!

Anyway, long story short, their weights are close on average, but it generally varies on a bass to bass basis.

15. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    You could get an idea from looking at Warmoth's stock, and comparing, say, all the alder Js against all the alder Ps. Just be sure you're comparing front routed to front routed, etc.

16. CentralCoastBass

CentralCoastBass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    National Reso-Phonic Guitars
    i own both a 99 jazz and a 2000 p bass. the p bass is lighter......smaller body and maybe a bit thinner back to front.

17. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    this might sound funny but the jazz has more stuff on it (knobs, pickups, control plate), but the p has more wood cos it just uses 1 routing so its up to the density of the wood.

i belive that the lightest is the american dlx jazz 4.