1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which is mire pick friendly P bass or Jazz bass, help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RBX4, Dec 31, 2011.

1. RBX4

RBX4

Dec 21, 2010
    Miami, Florida
    ?

2. I really don't think that any bass at all is more "pick friendly". IME, a pick simply changes the tone due to sharper attack, but tone being super subjective, I'd say it's entirely up to you and what you like. In the typical TB style, I say go to a music store and try out both with a pick and see what happens.

3. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    They both work fine with pick. P pups will generally give fuller sounding tone. You can even get a rickenbacker with extra big balls like sound if you wish if you have crunchy P pups and right 2-3 band preamp etc. Roundwound strings and P pups work excellent to. J's will generally be a bit thinner sounding or edgeier sounding compared to P's. Best suggestion is go try a few from diff mfg and pick the one with nicest pick tone to you. For P pup equipted bass and pick playing to me best choice is the upper end & neck thru BC Rich imports that had dual P neck and bridge set of Pups.

For J's, myself Id look toward washburn including both present and used ones going back to the abt series of the 1980's. And for PJ's some of the jackson imports used, since they dont much make pj basses anymore (soapbar).

But really, I find soapbar and warm voiced humbucker pups work best for pick, to me anyway. Especially if running bass thru overdrive and or distortion.

4. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    Who was the B.P. for the Pretenders, Pete Farndon ? My favorite P with pick tone. hard to beat IMO.Full and grindy, was perfect for their sound. I'll vote P.

5. I'm not a pick player but I do like the sound of a P picked. A Jazz might sound just as good, & I'm not sure if one *feels* better to pick or not.

6. RBX4

RBX4

Dec 21, 2010
    Miami, Florida
    Reason being- I play a couple jazz basses and I noticed as I get better it's somewhat trebly, compared to what I hear how a p bass sounds with a pick, just wanna hear opinions. # exfrustratedguitarplayer :)

7. RBX4

RBX4

Dec 21, 2010
    Miami, Florida
    Thanx guys keep the opinions n facts coming!

8. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    I prefer the sound of a P bass played with a pick, but Jazz's have their own great sound with them as well.

9. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    personally prefer a p over a jazz (with or witout a pick) but Greg Lake always got a great tone out of a jazz bass with a pick.

10. Joospocks

Joospocks

Jul 1, 2010
    Alberta
    Get your hash tags off my TalkBass ;) and maybe try favoring the neck pickup on a J bass and see if you like that tone. You might find it to be rounder, similar to the P bass tone.

11. RBX4

RBX4

Dec 21, 2010
    Miami, Florida
    That's what I've been doing! ;-)

12. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    We do because we are old and wise. :smug:

A lot of Punk players got some interesting sounds out out Precisions played with the plectrum, but just intuitively I should imagine people would be after something like the Jazz picked around the bridge pickup with the neck pickup off.

I'm just guessing here; it's never occurred to me to play with a pick for some reason.

13. RBX4

RBX4

Dec 21, 2010
    Miami, Florida
    That idea sounds Rancid to me, lol! Hahaha, cool stuff

14. GBBSbassist

GBBSbassist I actually play more guitar... Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago
    P bass with a pick is great.

15. Death to hashtags! I play both with a pick and love em.

16. I've found that I prefer a pick on a P over a Jazz, but both sound great with a pick.

17. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

May 1, 2011
    I find it more comfortable playing with a pick on a p, seems to be more space with only 1 pickup. that being said, check out bobby Vegas playing a jazz with a pick

18. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    MIRE?

19. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    IME/IMO, this is pretty much a moot question... :meh:

Any general differences that may exist in this regard between Precisions and Jazzes, will be more than compensated for by differences in individual playing style, technique, strings, settings - and more.

Furthermore, while you'll likely get a whole bunch of replies to your question here, most TalkBassers tend not to qualify or to objectify their responses sufficiently for one to derive much overall insight from them... :meh:

MM

20. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I was going to say "either", but your argument has swayed me. P-bass!