Which is more upright-ish

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jon223, Dec 3, 2003.

1. Hi all, I was wondering which of these fretlesses would sound most like a DB. I know nothing sounds like a DB but a DB, but, i dont have 2000 bucks handy.
    So, would a jazz bass or p bass give me more upright sound. Maple or rosewood on a fretless board. Im talking about an Essex, not fender, and i know they dont make a fretless maple j. Neway, thanks alot for your help.

Oh, and also, is it possible to mount something like a hot shot piezo p-up somewhere on a solid body electric, and still get good acoustic sounding tone, or does it only work on something with a sounding box. That ought to make any fretless sound a little more uprightish huh?
    thanks again.
  2. I would say that a P bass strung with flat wounds with a rosewood fingerboard would be your best bet out of the two options that you've listed.

I'm not to sure what the answer is to piezo pickup question.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My fretless Essex P bass, maple fingerboard, wit flatwounds, sounds like a DB somewhat.
  4. I think a P-Bass with flats and a rosewood board would be pretty good. I don't think a Hot Shot would work very well on a solid body.
  5. hrrrm, i thought maple sounded more like a DB, but it seems as though rosewood is preferred. Anybody else?
  6. Usually a bass fitted with a type of mute (foam or otherwise) would get you a kind of upright sound. I remember a Rickenbacker player saying how he tried the mute on his 4001/3 and it sounding pretty similar to an upright.

You can outfit any bass with a type of mute made of foam or any other material. In fact, there was a thread on it. Here it is: