1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which is More Useful: Flanger or Wah?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JanusZarate, Mar 22, 2006.

1. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Right now I've got a Boss BF-2 Flanger, which IMO sounds awesome... but I feel like it might not be very useful to me. In fact, I'm currently just using it as a sort of an occasional ring mod, and seldom use it for its other great effects because they're just not something I'd use very often.

After giving the Dunlop Crybaby 105q a test run, I think I might invest in one. I'm liking the potential of wah, but I wonder about my Flanger

I'm a novice who's into bands like Tool, Megadeth, and others with great rock and metal basslines.

Should I keep the Flanger and get the Wah? Forget the Wah? Sell the Flanger? :confused:

2. I would keep both. Combining the two might give you a sound that you've been after. You could use the wah as a frequency boost like Dark Harted used to, I lost track of his ever-changing board. He's got some good samples, I think.
    If you're set on having one or the other get the wah from a place that offers a 30 day return, try it if you like keep, if ya don't send it back.
    And I agree the BF-2 is an awesome flanger.

3. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Go for both, you may be suprised what a wah can do with different effects (and not just dist)

If you search for the user name IcedEarthWOM (that's my old name), as well as DarkHarted, you should find links to some wah samples. (Un)fortunatly, they're all with fuzz....

That said, I use a wah with an on/off switch (the Dime CFH), so keep that in mind if you go with the 105q. The difference is that you can set up your tone without the wah and not have to worry about lo-end loss and tone alteration when it's rocked back, like I had/have to deal with :rolleyes: As your probably aware, the 105q is a switchless wah and only affects your tone when you rock it foreward. I've actually thought of getting one myself for that reason.

I just think of a wah as a controllable freq boost. I explained it once in one of my posts as IcedEarthWOM, and I think chips thought I was nuts :D

On the note of my everchanging board: It's all true :D

4. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Especially considering that it's your only two pedals: Keep'em Both! At this point it hardly matters WHAT they are.

I have seven, and from what I can extrapolate now, I'd say that in-the-end I'll end-up with... Maybe I'll render my sounds down to ten pedals in two or three loops.

I mean - so if the real question is "is it better to have two pedals, or one", I'd say the answer's "TWO by FAR; 'bout TEN is right".

That's from MY perspective, anyway -

Joe

5. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    Here's to another call for using them both. I have a 105q and a BF-3, and they can sound quite good together. That said, they also sound great used separately--so if you have both, you'll have a vastly wider arrangement of sounds at your disposal.

-Dash

6. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Keep them both.

7. dude, you ARE nuts :p

Having said that, keep both

8. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Thanks guys, I'm keeping my BF-2!

BTW, Joe P, I actually have lots of other pedals - but up until now, nothing in terms of mods or wahs (except a Boss CEB-3 Bass Chorus).

:p