Which is preferable and why?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DLM, Dec 28, 2004.

1. DLM

May 25, 2004
    First, my bass has Bartolini soapbars and 3-band EQ...

Question: For any given volume requirement, is it better to have the volume on the bass at maximum and decrease volume through the amp, or have the volume on the bass at less than max and increase the volume through the amp?

Does it make a difference tonally, electronically, etc.?
  2. From what I've noticed, if you turn the volume down on the bass and increase on the amp, any tonal settings you had going on the bass decrease. If you have the amp decreased and the volume on the bass up all the way, the tonal settings on the amp aren't as noticeable, but it's not as drastic as on the bass.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I usually keep the volume on the bass as high as possible without the amp peaking/distorting.
  4. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I try to save a little volume on my bass incase I need it but I play it about 80% up on the bridge pup and 10-20% on the neck pup.
  5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    it depends upon a lot of factors such as if your bass is active or passive. Having the volume lower on your bass will give you a less favorable signal to noise ratio, as will keeping the preamp volume on your amp low.
  6. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I keep the vol on my bass on full, and use my Ernie Ball VP jr to adjust as needed. :cool:
  7. kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    On my passive basses, I like to keep the volume full on. I can't do that with the G&L though, even if i turn down the gain on my amp, it still clips if the G&L's volume is full. I keep it around 3/4.