Which is the amp for me

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Newman, Oct 9, 2000.

1. Newman

Jun 6, 2000
    Yeah Yeah i know everyone's gonna say only i can know what the right amp for me is but i kinda need help. The amp im looking for should be powerful enough to overpower a drummer maybe like 40 watts or so. I want it to have a couple of different... i forget the word for this, i think models? like a guitar has crunch and blues and clean. it should be about $300 american. Effects arent important but fun to have. I was thinkin about buying through e-bay but im afraid thats a little risky but i could still get a powerful amp for my price range. The amp im looking for probably isnt out there. I found a guitar amp i reeally like for a good price (line 6 spider series) but they dont have that in a bass amp.
    once again ill state what i want in an amp:

1. not to big not to small, about 30-60 watts, as loud as ill pretty much ever want. im only young and wont be playing anywhere that doesnt have another power source. Should be about as loud to here over a drummer and say... play in the school gym.

2. A couple of diff models. Not effects just different sounds

3. (optional) like a delay and chorus, flanger, basic effects. Nothing to big.

all i'm asking is a suggestion on a few amps. Maybe a website or 2 i could go to or a brand name i can check out.

[Edited by Newman on 10-09-2000 at 07:53 PM]
  2. ok, the only one that came to mind when you said you wanted effects built in, so Crate. i think thats the only bass amp brand that makes amps with built in effects. i'd have to say that the effects built into the amp are pretty bad though, its much better to have it either rack effects or stomp boxes. another thing, 40watts isnt much AT ALL. you need about/at least 100w to be heard over the drummer. i'd still say look into crate because their stuff is cheep. Also, you might want to look into the fender bassman series, those are pretty good deals. the Ampeg B-115 is also a good deal, its about $350 for 100w.

3. I agree, 40W won't be heard over a drummer. It MIGHT be heard over an acoustic guitar, but not much more.

I think you ought to spend your money on something used, you'll get a LOT more bang for the buck on the used market. I'd look for something with 100W _minimum_ for playing with a drummer, and even then I figure you're going to be underpowered.
  4. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    You're probably basing your idea of how loud 40 watts is on guitar amps. A 40W tube guitar amp can get very, very loud. For bass that's practice amp power. Drummers vary but I need all of my 160W for the drummer I jam with and one guitarist. Look for used and get as much power as you can afford.
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I don't know how available they are in the used market, but I have heard many people rave about how loud an Ampeg B100 is, they are around $500 new at Guitar Center, and are fairly portable.

A loud amp that I know about, that is unfortunately VERY heavy, but really cheap too, is the Peavey TNT 115. You should be able to find one of these used for between $200 - $300. Just make sure that the driver is a Black Widow, they are very good speakers, but the Peavey Scorpion Plus and Sheffield 15's are crap.

There are 3 different versions of this amp, the one you want is a TNT 130 or TNT 115. These are 130 watts, very loud, VERY HEAVY and very cheap used. The oldest version is the TNT 100, it only has 50 watts, is over 25 years old and is just not loud enough.

If you can afford the Ampeg, I would get it, but if you need to stay under $300, look for one of the Peaveys, and make sure you find a reputable chiropractor as well.
  6. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    It seems to me you're coming from the 'guitar side'.
    1. As MJB said, 40W is o.k. for guitar, but almost nothing for bass. I would also say that 100W should be the minimum, but I started playing with a 50W combo (in a band!) - but I upgraded pretty soon...

2. Built in effects or different channels (clean, crunch) are very unusual with bass amps - bass is bass, bassically :D

7. Newman

Jun 6, 2000
    You're all sure 40 watts isn't enough?
    I have a 10 watt crate amp and it sounds like a 30 watt of the same model would be good. And my friends 25 watt rebel guitar amp is perfect when its turned up loud to be heard with a drummer. If i need a 100 watt then how heavy is that gonna be??? when I carry my 10 watt around i get tired after 10 mins. What will 100 be like and how big will it be? Another thing, what if i order the amp and don't like the sound it has? I dont wanna spend another 30 bucks to ship it back for a refund. And if I wanted a used amp (which are rare around where i live. Pop of 15 000) there's absolutely no selection. So Once again, anyone who has a suggestion on what kind of amp i should look into go right ahead. Once again, effects and different sounds aren't to important but a nice bonus.
    Ok im editing this in instead of making a new post. I think i've found my dream amp.
    its what im looking for except its a little big and heavy. 60 lbs is ALOT to try to move around. Is the 50 watt enough for what i want it for? thx

And thanks to everyone who replied.

[Edited by Newman on 10-10-2000 at 03:37 PM]
  8. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I bought a used Ampeg B100R for $199 which is 100 watts into a 15 inch speaker and weighs 65 pounds. The amp retails for around $500.

I had a 40 watt amp that I used in a jam session with a drummer and a guitar. The guitar player also had a 40 watt amp. He was very loud and so was the drummer. Me, I had to crank it up to around 4:00 and it still wasn't loud enough. I didn't turn it up any higher because the speaker was farting too much. I'm lucky that I didn't blow it.

With the 100 watt Ampeg, I can easily be heard now so yes, you do need at least that much wattage if you are playing with a drummer.
  9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    We're all sure you need more than 40 watts. Fifty or sixty pounds isn't that heavy for a young whippersnapper. Shoot, my 410 weighs 98 pounds (just the cab) and I manage. Good thing my head only weighs 13 pounds (it's 300 watts, but not 300 dollars). I agree that 100 watts is minimum for your needs, 200 is better, 1200 is optimal.
  10. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Almost everyone on this forum (including me) will tell you that 40W will not be enough. But what what does it help you, when you got no car and not enough money - right?

The equipment of my first band was:
    A 25W amp for lead guitar, a 2x100W PA for rhythm guitar, keyboard and vocals. Overall volume was not too loud, as you can imagine, though we were rather young ;)
    And I kept up with a 50W (solid state) combo (12" speaker) - I swear it did work for rehearsals. But for our first gig I borrowed a 100W amp and one year later I already had a 200W head with a 2x15" cab...

Second story: A fellow bassist uses a 150W Ampeg combo in a fairly loud (for me) hard rock band - he hardly keeps up, but it works. And I guess that's the point here: Is it enough when it just works (one can hear the bass) or do you want good sound and bass wich you can also feel, not just hear?

A little theory: It takes much more power to reproduce lower frequencies than higher ones (thus a bass amp needs to have more power than a guitar amp). So if you back off the bass knob a little and boost the mids instead, you will achieve more volume because the amp hasn't got to work so hard on the bass frequencies. But you won't have this rich and groundshaking sound this way, of cause.
    IMHO this is also the reason why an Ampeg will sound louder than a comparable SWR - it has a 'built in' mid boost (I don't mean the 'ultra mid' control but the frequency response).

I suggest you should borrow an amp of the size you're thinking of and see if it works for you. If nobody will give one to you, you could also visit a fellow band and see what works for them.

Hope that helps,

[Edited by Matthias on 10-11-2000 at 04:35 AM]