1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which is the best Jazz Bass prewired wiring harness?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MichiBass, Jan 15, 2017.

1. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I don't have any experience with any pre-wired harness, I do my own wiring, but the guts in your Fender are premium parts. I would just get a new switchcraft or neutrik jack unless you actually want to change the values. Make sure you double check the jack before you replace it, it might just be a bad connection.

RumbleMan3 and MichiBass like this.
  2. Ragul

Ragul

Jun 8, 2015
    Your Highway One Jazz Bass should have the Greasebucket tone setup. If this doesn’t work for you then replacing the whole harness might be the way to go. Poly film caps - .047 or .022 should work.

MichiBass likes this.
  3. Firstly, basses have output jacks, not input jacks.

Unless there is either a problem with the existing parts, or you want to change resistances/capacitances/tapers/etc., you will gain absolutely nothing by replacing the whole harness. Why don't you just replace the jack?

RumbleMan3 and MichiBass like this.
  4. Yeah, might be an option to only replace the jack. Do you think my Greasebucket circuit is good stuff?

5. Now I am looking for one for my new to me Japanese P Bass, which seems not to have original parts.

6. codiak

codiak

Mar 16, 2017
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Try looking at EMG. They have plug and play wiring. I love my GZR's.

7. Axstar

Axstar SUSPENDED

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    Some lovely wiring harnesses in those links! I didn't realise it was such a rich market. My only misgiving is that there is a wee bit of wheel reinvention going on. For example the Manchester Guitar Tech's 'Dub Plate' wiring harness. A passive setup with a push/pull that boosts output and bass? Nah, I'm not buying it. And since when were Bob Marley and the Wailers considered dub? Beyond that I'm seeing some nice solder-free solutions and some subtly over-spec'd components like boutique pots etc.

A few thoughts about replacing single components: I find it hard to work on Fender circuits! They seem to consistently wrap wires round eyelets on pots and jacks. You can melt the solder and use a sucker or braid to remove it, but you have to try and pull the wire through somehow. It is hard to keep that looking clean. If you simply snip the wire then you are trying to strip, tin and solder shorter wires to your new component.

I personally rewire all my instruments if a component starts to fail. I struggle to create good looking harnesses, but I have a few ideas moving forward. If nothing else you can clip the pickups, ground wires etc and sell even a dirty harness on Ebay for $20 or so as long as it came from a Fender instrument!

MichiBass likes this.
  8. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    "i'm having issues with my wiper blades so i'm looking to put a new transmission in my car."

you should already have good CTS pots in the bass; the most "premium" wiring harness out there is still like $15 worth of CTS pots, $2 worth of output jack and 99¢ worth of tone capacitor.

the rest is wiring labor and "mojo" (starting to really hate that word).

if deoxit contact cleaner and tightening the jack doesn't help, then throw a new switchcraft #11 jack in there for a couple dollars and call it done.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  9. Axstar

Axstar SUSPENDED

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    The only obviously premium item I'm spotting on those links is Emerson potentiometers because the tolerances are apparently tighter on those. Sloppy tolerance pots were good enough for Jaco, etc ad nauseum. Beyond that people seem to like big chunky "premium" capacitors, and a few of those guys are adding push/pull pots to add more features to an otherwise basic setup.

10. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    It doesn't matter what you choose, as any passive wiring harness with the proper value pots and caps will sound exactly the same as any other. The best you can hope for is pots that are long lasting and have a nice feel to them.

MichiBass likes this.
  11. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    It won't boost anything, but it will increase perceived output by increasing the low mids. Its a simple series/parallel switch which will definitely give a passive Jazz bass more balls. They definitely aren't reinventing the wheel, its a very common modification

Axstar likes this.
  12. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Just got a DubPlate today and finished installing it. Yeah, I believe it's a series / parallel switch but it adds another capacitor into the mix. So, it's not magic, but the end result is as advertised and the installation is super simple with the screw terminals. It's kinda late, so I didn't get to crank it up, but ease of installation alone makes it worthwhile if you want another tonal option for your jazz bass.

13. Hounddog409

Hounddog409

Oct 27, 2015
    ohio
    I know this is old, but researching.

my MIM jazz, which is only a few years old, is in need of new pots. What is installed is crap. the tone pot does absolutely nothing and turns freely to the point I do not think the blade is actually touching. Same with the other 2 pots. there is very little to no tone change. in fact, I can notice a slight change when I come off max a little, but no tone change rest of way.

So I will be willing to bet I will hear a whole lot different when installing actual quality parts.

14. Don't buy a wiring harness is my advice.
    Buy the parts & install them yourself.

Those wiring harnesses come with huge capacitors that are designed for hundreds of Volts, while a bass guitar is putting out milliVolts.
    You can most likely reuse the existing capacitor.