Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

which is the best simple tube pre amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by paz, Jun 4, 2005.

1. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    hiya im in the market for a new tube pre amp but im looking for something simple like a 3 band eq i'd like something without all the extras u get like compressors graphic eqs limiters and all the stuff i'll never need.
    i just want a high end, reliable pre
    any ideas?
    cheers

2. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    When you say 'high end', my first thought is the Millennia TD-1; I think they run around $1500 (you can use the tube side or the solid state side, excellent DI, headphone output, 2 band fully parameteric EQ that can be bypassed).
    I'm GAS'in' for one myself.

What price range are you looking for?

3. DLM

DLM

May 25, 2004
    California
    I've been extremely happy with this pre. It's simple, straightforward and is an industry standard. It provides +/- 10db for bass, mid and treble; not as much as some that give +/- 15db, but I've never needed to turn those knobs to any extreme to get the tone I want.

This pre has two tubes, but shouldn't be disqualified for consideration.

4. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    The simplest would be Alembic. They're very very straight forward. Passive controls. No graphics or parametrics. Top quality guts. Great sounds. Can't go wrong. :bassist:

5. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

+1 on the Alembic.....

Came in first place in Bass Players pre amp shootoout about 6 or 7 yearss ago...

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    My allegiance goes to the Read Purity. Simple, all tube, amazing tone. Period. :hyper:

7. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    im looking at something between £500 and £1000, soerry im not sure what that is in dollars, i quite like the millenia anyone played one

8. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    If you do a search, you'll find a few people using the TD-1.

I think the word is just starting to get out about them, plus they're not cheap.

I have (and love) a Demeter VTBP-201S.

It has a tubey sound without the slurred speed notes and bloated bottom (it's fast, tight, and punchy -- esp. w/better than stock tubes).

If you want "what goes in is what comes out", it would be hard to beat the TD-1.

9. £500 to £1000 = $500 to $1000 when compairing prices over there to those from the uk (from my experience )

So this is annoying if you are buying in the UK, but good if your importing, and going by XE.com,
    £500 to £1000 = ~$900 to $1800 on the current exchange rate, so importing then sorting out the power differences may be an option

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Here are some (relatively simple) tube preamps which I would consider highly worth checking out:

Alembic F-1X
    Demeter VTBP-201s
    Aguilar DB 659
    Aguilar DB 680
    Read Purity (or Transendance)
    Kern IP-777

Tom.

11. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    glockenklang bass art classic. Tubey feeling, no needs for tubes anymore ;)

12. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Alembic F-2B.
    Though it has two channels, it is much simpler than the F-1X.

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Good point, I forgot that one.

Tom.

14. What about a trace elliot V-type? They a pretty darn cheap, have a tube and are pretty much as basic as possible.

[​IMG]

15. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    +1,000,000 on the Trace V-type.

16. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Great. I'll buy one just for a tryout. Who sells them online? :confused:

17. I've heard good thinga about the AVALON U5 preamp. A pro player I have listened to in concert uses one on his live rig and he has the most awesome sound. From what I have read they are about $4-500.00 new and have very straight forward controls.

18. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    This has got to be one of the simplest out there:

Attached Files:

19. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    ... or, if you prefer a rack mount...

front back

Attached Files:

20. A guy in my area is selling that one for 300 canadian? But he could go lower I think.