Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Is The Better Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by invisiman, Feb 23, 2004.

1. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    First of all: Hello eveyone!!

Second:
    It's bass buying season for me, and the two basses I'm looking at are: Geddy Lee Sig Bass, or a Highway 1 Jazz bass(both Fenders). Which one is the better choice? Or should I look somewhere else completely?

All help appreciated! :)

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would definitely go for the Geddy. From what ive heard it has a much better reputation. Ive played a Geddy and liked it. Havent played highway 1 but i hear it isnt worth the price, the common alternative is just to save up more for an American Fender, or buy used.

3. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    I would save up some more, but I don't have any sort of income, and only $900 Canadain to spend. Any cheaper option, which is of comparable quality would be excellent, then I could get an amp :p

4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    From those two choices, the GL sig. Hands down

5. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Pick the one you like the most. My preference would be the GL, but that's me. Contrary to Figjam (sorry buddy) I have heard good things about the HWY1's. However for the price I would get an American Deluxe or an MIM and mod it.

Dan

6. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    That's a problem, seeings how I have only been able to find a Highway 1 that I was able to play.

7. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I guess that limits your choice then. How comfortable are you ordering something in? Were you planning on purchasing from L&M, Mothers, or another chain? L&M will sometimes order on spec. If you don't like it they can always sell it off the floor.

Dan

8. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I have a Hwy 1 J-bass and it rocks. On the contrary I have read where multiple people have had major problems with their Geddy Lee necks. Do a search here and on fenderforum.com

9. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I've played some Hwy1's and I thought they were OK :meh:
    I didn't like the thin flat finish on the body and the pups and hardware seemed passable. IMO, a hot-rodded MIM Standard would probably be better.

I've only played one Geddy Lee. I think it is superior to the Hwy1. Better pups, equal or better hardware, and IMO, better looks.

But...If *I* were buying a bass in the price range of the Hwy1 and GL, I would get a Fender 60s Classic Jazz Bass:

http://www.fender.com/products/show.php?partno=0131800

(As a matter of fact, I own a 60s Classic Jazz and it is my favorite bass!)

10. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Ordering through L&M was my original plan, if my research here turned up good things about them. I have a Highway 1 that I've rented for right now. It sounds great, but I don't know if it's worth the price of admission.

And, MascisMan, would you care to elaborate on what sort of problems?

11. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    Never played the Highway but that Geddy bass is sweet!

12. the geddy lee is probably the better bass overall, but i hate the neck.

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have read a few reports of problems with the Geddy Lee neck. Mine is solid as a rock. IMHO the Geddy Lee is the better of the two.

14. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    That would be my dilemma as well. Is it worth the asking price. L&M are pretty good to deal with but they can be somewhat dense at times as well. I have been waiting weeks for my Godin case. It came in once but they had ordered the wrong one. OTOH, I think their tech here in Winnipeg is pretty good and so are a couple of the salespeople.

Dan

15. I haven't played a Hwy 1 yet, but I played a Geddy a few weeks ago, and it was nice. A third choice which is within your price range is a Fender Aerodyne Jazz. http://www.fender.com/products/show.php?partno=0254500

Nice mix of P and J tones, but it sounded best with both pups on full.
    Killer looks IMHO.

Good luck.

Mike

16. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    I took a look at the Aerodyne, but I really didn't like the looks of it.(I'm shallow, so sue me :cool: ) Although didn't plug one in...

The thin neck was part of the reason I was looking at a GL Sig, but if that's gonna be an issue, I really don't know. Does anyone know what sort of percentage the GL's have for screwed up necks?

17. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    something about the neck warping easy or not intonating or something. I will have to do a search when I have more time

18. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Hmm...this isn't exactly instilling me with hope for the Geddy Lee Sig. What are other basses in my price range with thin(ner) necks, and have good sound quality?

19. [​IMG]

The Yamaha BB1500A is a pretty sweet sounding and versitile active J-Bass with a fast neck. It's out of production but you may be able to find one on ebay for less than $600. I love mine.