Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which is the better bass??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Philip71, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Philip71

Philip71

Jul 23, 2004
    I am deciding which 5 stringer I want and wanted some opions on what you guys think is the better bass:

Dean Edge hammerhead 5 string or Spector legend 5

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Spector

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Well, I'm going to give the ageless line of "try them for yourself", but am also going to say that the Spector wins easily.

Ray

4. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    The dean is a quality bass, but I think the Spector Wins out in the end, unless you have a real draw to the dean tone (which is very generic IMO).

5. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    +1

6. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Just for the record, all of the above posters are AVID Spector lovers with cult-like admiration. :D

7. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    So true. Most of the Spector players around here have several. I don't think many guys would buy an arsenal of Dean's. Not that they're not good, I have a Rhapsody 12-string. But, I wouldn't go out of my way to get a 4-string, (2x) 5-strings, (2x) 6-strings, and a 6-string fretless like I have with my Spector's with any Dean model. Within the first few weeks of getting my first Spector I knew I had to get another one, something that never happened with any other bass I've played, and it was FAR from the last.

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I was close to becoming a Spector Cult member. I owned one and was about to go for my second when i fell in love with Musicman. SOld my spector, and bought a Musicman Sterling instead of another spector. I love musicman :)

9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Of couse, the fact that there is a Spector cult but no Dean cult says a lot about both companies.