Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which is the better deal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Daywalker, Dec 14, 2005.

Better deal?

Poll closed Dec 28, 2005.
  1. Ampeg SVT-CL for $1050OTD(new)

63.6%
  2. Ampeg SVT-4PRO for $900OTD(new)

36.4%
  1. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    Ok, these are my two options. Which one do you think is the better deal and why. Thanks... :bassist:

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    The CL. Because I like it better.

3. FunkyLemz

FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    go used man.
    I think there is a svt4 here on TB.

4. Soulfinger

Soulfinger

Sep 20, 2004
    Houston, TX
    IIRC, the preamp in the SVT-4pro is actually closer to the original SVT preamp. And it's cheaper to boot.

5. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    What's IIRC??????????????

6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    If I MUST choose between those 2, it would be the CL. However, my favorite (new) Ampeg head is the -2 Pro. Also, why are you looking at only these 2? What else is avalible?

7. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    IIRC = If I remember correctly

Read this thread to catch up on the lingo:Talkbass slang/jargon Compilation

SVT4 Pro because I like it better. ;)

8. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I like the 2-Pro myself. It's the only thing I would replace my 3-Pro with. Although the new 6-Pro is interesting. I think it's basically a beefed up 3-Pro.
    If that's the 2 choices, and you don't mind occasional tube changes, I'd get the CL.

IIRC = If I remeber correctly.

9. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    I've heard horror stories about the 2-Pro. Supposedly there are lots of problems with them, any truth to that? Anyone own a 2-Pro that can give details? Thanks...

10. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I used to frequent the Ampeg site before they shut down the message board. The 2-Pro got rave praise there,the 4-Pro had more questions about problems,but, there are more 4-Pro's out there IMO so that may be why.

11. I'd go the CL. Changing the tubes for really good ones will give you a much better sound - the 4pro doesn't really have much promise here. But, the 4pro won't need power tubes.........

I've got the SVPCL (pre- modelled on the 70's SVT's), and have compared it to the current SVT's side by side - must admit, similar but not exactly the same. The 4 pro is quite different to both IMO.
    The 4pros' got overheating issues (side cooling) so rackmounting has to be done with this in mind.
    And the CL won't depreciate as quick too! :cool:

12. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I just thought of something SMO mentioned, and it may have to do w/ this. The 2-Pro is side vented also,so you may have seen overheating problems. You have to keep them out of a rack, install a fan, or what I've heard most, vent the sides of your rack. Most people drill holes. The Ampeg racks have a hole for side venting, but try and get hold of one. Jeeze!

They are also expensive, and given a choice most people opt for the CL.

13. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    The Ampeg site says that the 2-Pro weighs 10 pounds less than the CL, that seems kinda strange. I thought it would weigh more for some reason. Anyways, is the 2-Pro just a CL with the shaping tools of a 4-Pro? Or is there more to it I don't know about that makes it different from the CL? Thanks...

14. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
  15. mobax

mobax Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    If you don't mind the weight, nothing beats an all tube SVT in my opinion. I've used both.

16. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    The one I played in GC last night had crap for high end. I had to crank the highs all the way up on both the amp and the bass I was playing. Are CLs normally dark sounding all the time? Or was the GC display model to blame for this?

17. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    They have the same power amp sections,and I always compared the preamp section more to the 3 Pro than the 4, I could be wrong.
    I'm guessing on the weight differance, but I think it's the encloseure, the 2 Pro is rack mount.

18. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    Anyone?