Which is the better way to go fretless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Justin V, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I've been wanting to go fretless for a while now and finally have the money (about $600 USD). The thing is, I also want to have a good fretted bass as a backup or for certain situations. Here are my options as I see it right now:

• Install a Warmoth fretless neck on my Jazz and buy a MIM P-bass Deluxe (the one with PJ setup)
    • Get a fretless MIM Jazz (or comparable fretless) and modify it with new electronics and such.

I just haven't been able to make up my mind about this and I've been seriously GASing for a fretless for about a month now. Thanks for the help.
  2. pumo420

Nov 2, 2001
    hmm i would go for the mim fretless jazz bass.

i also looked up so fretless basses on ebay i hope they will help you:cool:

this one should be a fretless p bass

heres a modulus im not sure what kind though

this one is an alembac

and last butnot alteast a standard jazz fretless

3. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Thanks pumo. That Pbass looks almost exactly like what I want. I'm gonna sit and watch that one for a couple days. Any other suggestions about my situation would be great.
  4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Dean also makes some very nice fretless basses in your price range. I am extremely happy with my Edge 5 fretless and it only cost me a little over $400 brand new with warrantee. Take a look:

You could do worse. IMO the Dean Edge is a better quality instrument than the MIM Jazz. Better hardware with 5 piece maple/walnut laminate neck. My mim Jazz, though a good bass, had a very tweaky neck. I had to tweak it all the time. The Dean does not.

However, it is not a Jazz and if you want the fretless Jazz vibe it will not do that.

Also, the MTD Kingston that is very popular around here comes in a fretless I believe. You may want to look into that as well.
  5. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    The kingston fretless is very nice and well worth the price.Yamaha also has fretless models at several price points starting at a little over $200 for the rbx260f and going up to the trb series around $1000.I have a fretted kingston and also a fretted Yamaha trb5,and would recommend either brand.