1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which is the corniest?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Monster Man

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. We Supply

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Carrots

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

Here are the contenders: Monster Man by the Jeff Lorber Fusion with Danny Wilson on Stingray and Stanley Clarke on tenor bass (ADGC;) the other is from Stanley Clarke's album, Rocks, Pebbles, and Sand, We Supply. On We Supply, Stanley is once again on his tenor bass while the late Louis Johnson crushed his Stingray or Sabre.

Both songs are a crazy combination is fantastic Old School slap and dumb lyrics. Which song is corniest to you?

azmati likes this.
  2. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    All I hear is the funk.
    Are there lyrics?

3. doc my man. i love the jeff lorber fusion's records before this one, that one was the breaking point for me. so corny and that song was awful.

the stanley tune sounds like he's trying to cop that brothers johnson sound.

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Stanley Clarke was going a bit for that George Duke/Parliament silly rap thing too. We Supply was a song that Stanley Clarke probably knew was silly. Monster Man is just dumb, even if it was funky as all get out!:bassist:

markjazzbassist likes this.
  5. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    The groove is strong with both tunes, but both songs show that it's not that easy to successfully turn a silly/funky phrase. Bootsy is a master at doing the silly funk lyric thing.

Parliament/Funkadelic was a little more subliminal/subversive at it, IMO, and quite a bit deeper. The more I listen to P-Funk now, the more I realize that they weren't just engaging in crazy banter. They had a LOT to say; I was just too young to really get it when I was a teenager back in the mid-to-late '70s.

As for which song in the OP is corniest? It's a toss-up.