Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which is the louderst 2x10"?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Jan 22, 2004.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Efficiency and powerratings aside. Which 210 can play the biggest stage in real life?

2. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Well if Accugroove's claims are in fact true I would guess their new tri 210 would perform quite well.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I would have to say that this is a good bet, and well worth checking out.

However, if you have the watts to really push it, the cab that I have found can play the loudest - and which keeps sounding better and better the louder you go - is the VL-210B. No, it is not the most efficient speaker out there, and truth be told, there are better sounding cabs at lower volumes, but when I crank 3,000 watts from my PLX 3002 into two VL-210B's, the result is darn right impressive. I have not been able to crank these cabs to the point where their tone even begins to break up. It's just too darn loud to stand by any stretch of means at that point. Truly, an amazing "2x10" in my book.

Now, I did recently pick up a Whappo, Jr., and I am hoping to try it with my PLX 3002 this Saturday, so we'll see how it holds up!

Later, Tom.

4. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Interesting.
    How big shows/gigs have you played with the VL-210? What kind of music etc?

5. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Tombowlus, there IS a 12-step program for cabaholics!

Seriously, I agree that the VL210B is in the running for "biggest 210". I use one for rehearsal, and it competes well with a heavy handed drummer and a guitarist with four 12s.

6. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    The volume of a loudspeaker is based on the efficiency and power rating.

That IS real life.

7. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    My EA CXL210 is pretty damn loud.
    Frequency response: 42 Hz - 14 kHz (±3 dB)
    Sensitivity: 102 dB
    SPL: 130 dB @ 1m
    :bassist:

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    My Eden 210XLT is a great cab but it doesn't cut it as a standalone in a loudish band. I've come to the conclusion that I prefer 2x10 as extension cabs only, even it's with another 2x10, or better still a 15.

If you're not playing at earbleeding levels, then disregard what I've just said.

9. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
  10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    With speaker designs you get to choose between these factors:

1. Size...bigger box means more efficiency, more low end.

2. Frequency response...the more low end extension, the lower the efficiency

3. Voicing: emphasizing the midrange means more apparent volume compared to a flatter voicing; scooping out the midrange reduces apparent volume.

So the loudest 2-10 would be one that has limited low end, emphasized midrange and is in a relatively large enclosure. Since I haven't heard every 2-10 out there I can't give you an answer of a specific cab.

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have never used just one VL-210. I have either combined it with several other cabs, or with just a second VL-210. The largest venue that I have used just two VL-210's in is a medium-sized club, that holds about 300 people (more, if they aren't enforcing the Fire Marshall Codes that night).

As for style of music, the bands in which I have used the VL-210 play a variety of rock-n-roll, from Stray Cats (with upright, of course) to Zepplin, to Audioslave, to Cake, and a whole bunch in between.

Anyone know where those Cabaholics Anonymous meetings take place? I do need help...

Tom.

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    my vote

13. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    I haven't compared it to other 210s, but my Bergantino HT-210 sure puts out an amazing amount of sound. I've used it as a standalone at many mediume-sized bar/lounge gigs (both with and without PA support) and have had no problem being heard. Like the other contenders, it needs a pretty substantial amount of wattage to get it pumpin'.

14. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    now that i have it eq'd right (thanks max) my epifani is tres loud. cant imagaine a louder 2x10. enetually i will probaby add a 1x12 or a 15 but it does fine on its own.

15. repair01

repair01

Jul 18, 2003
    texarkana tx
    i've got an avatar 2x10 and it held its own in my bands last gig.i had a head that matched up with the power perfectly and i was up against a marshall stack and a 400w kustom 4x12.they were teasing cause all i brought was the 2x10 but when we started playing they had theirs turned ALL the way up and my lil ol' 2x10 was only about 2/3's of the way up