Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which is your favorite bass solo?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by punkrock, Aug 30, 2000.

1. punkrock

punkrock

Aug 30, 2000
    whats your favorite bass solo? personally I love the maxwell murder solo by rancid's matt freeman

2. Jack Bruce's solo on "I'm So Glad" (live track, "Goodbye", 1969)

3. ~Loxley~

~Loxley~ Guest

Apr 9, 2000
    I like a lot of Jason Newsteds live solos, but I'll have to go with (believe it or not) the bass solo played in one of the scores of the MechWarrior 2 soundtrack.

It has a totally cool bass riff and solo. If any of you own the game, check out score no. 14 on the CD....

~Loxley~(I'm a guy ;))

4. OK let me play both sides of this coin:
    1) There's already a thread on this subject floating around in the archives.
    2) My favorite bass solos are:
    a) Michael Manring's solo on the song "Gizmo" from his album "Drastic Measures."
    b) Willie Weeks' solo on "Everything is Everything" from "Donny Hathaway Live."
    c) Mike Watt's solo on the song "From One Comes One" on the fIREHOSE album "If'n."

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Let's not forget Baghiti Khumalo's two-bar funky as all hell solo in Paul Simon's "You Can Call Me Al" from Graceland. On a purist level, it's fat, funky, grooving, and it leaves your mouth watering for more!!!

P.S. I've never been able to find any other album Khumalo plays bass on! Does anybody know?

6. He's got a couple of solo albums out..

7. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Thanks Dave! Amazon doesn't seem to have those albums, but rest assured I'll keep my eyes open!

8. Jazzbo, I just searched Amazon and they have all of Kumalo's solo albums. Just search for Kumalo under "Popular Music."

9. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Dave, simply put, you rock! They have his first name spelled differently than from the "Graceland" liner notes. Rest assured, I've already ordered them! Amazon is a pretty cool phenomenon.

Thanks again Dave, Khumalo really had such a wonderful sound that Graceland would never have been the same without his groove.

Isn't it weird how these threads always break off on tangents.

10. I hate to burst your bubble, dude, but only the first bar is actually Khumalo playing. The second bar is a digital sample of the first part played BACKWARDS! A little studio trick, but that doesn't mean that he doesn't lay down some awesome grooves all by himself!:)

11. Entwistle on My Generation..it's not blazingly fast or complicated..but it's incredibly cool and was the first ever recorded electric bass solo.

12. LiquidSexMachine

LiquidSexMachine

Sep 1, 2000
    On the red hot chili peppers Under the covers Cd there is a really good bass solo on the higher ground remix. Also at woodstock flea did a few solos that were pretty damn cool.

13. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Hey Reedo,

I've heard that before too. I've also heard that that is not correct and it really is Khumalo playing both bars. In fact, basstabarchive.com has a tab for both situations. Apparently there is some confusion.

Does anybody know for sure?

14. The second half of the solo is the first half backwards.. the engineer dubbed the original lick, flipped the tape over and spliced it together. It was mentioned in an article about Kumalo in BP a few years back.

[Edited by Dave Siff on 09-01-2000 at 01:16 PM]

15. That's where I got my info from, also. And if you listen to the second part very closely there is a sort of reverse flange effect that is impossible to duplicate. [/B][/QUOTE]

16. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    C'mon guys, don't destroy my naivete. I'm allowed to be blissfully ignorant, aren't I? Oh well, still, whether it was a post-production trick or what, I still like it.

So, does that forfeit my answer to the original question? Okay, best bass solo. Hmm, how about anything on Marcus Miller's Live in Tokyo album?

17. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey, just because something has some recording tricks in it doesn't mean it's not a good bass solo. that's ridiculous. anything that you find moving and cool is a cool solo, on any instrument for that matter.

18. Hmmm, I respectfully disagree, being the purist that I am, I
    think that the solo should come from the player, not some techno-gizmo.I do appreciate the technology as a novelty thing, but when we start relying on machines to play our music for us, where is the self-expression and artistry in that?

[Edited by reedo35 on 09-01-2000 at 04:36 PM]

20. I should have clarified my point a bit further. Both Geddy and Khumalo are fantastic players, and have proven themselves as such over and over. I was referring to So called "Bass Players" who rely soley on gimmicks and sequencers and Midi-interfaces for their "sound".A little of
    that electronic wizardry goes a long way. I just feel that
    relying on it too much detracts from true musicianship and mastery of the instrument.