which is your favorite bassline from Ryan Martinie?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by FiveStringsNme, Sep 13, 2003.

1. which is your favorite bassline from Ryan Martinie?...
  2. Everything and Nothing on LD.50(the whole freaking song)

Also...I like the little fill in Internal Primates forever.

3. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    I don't have one favorite...I like them all!!:bassist:
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hard to name just one.. um... i love Internal Primates Forever, and Death Blooms, but the live versions are AWESOME. and uh..
    -1- is good if im not mistaken. Everything and nothing is aalso kickass.Severed is fun.
  5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Blah Blah Blah

[Mod Edit] Thank you for your insight Matt [/Mod Edit]
  6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I've not listened to much, but 'Not Falling' really caught my ear. I've picked up 2 CDs from them but haven't really given them a listen yet.
  8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Oh man, I haven't seen one of these in a while. Back to my troll roots. :bassist: :meh:
  9. Hell...kinda hard. If I had to list a top 3...it would be something like this:

Nothing To Gein

Death Blooms and Under My Skin are bitchin as hell too, but not in my top 3.
  10. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Sweet Home Alabama. Oh, wait...make that "Freebird". I like he does that three chord walk below the guitar solos and it gets real trancey...
  11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :D I hope you respect me in the morning... you were my first :oops:
  12. None, I think he is highly overrated but thats not here nor there...
  13. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Boy, I'd like to know who you think is better if you think he's overrated. I've seen them play twice and each time he was amazing. Extremely talented and technical, but what the hell do I know.
  14. I don't think he is overrated buy uh....Jaco Pastorius and Victor Wooten to name a couple ;)
  15. for Metal, Ryan Martinie is very up there..I mean it has gotten to the point where he is compared to the Jazz\Funk\Fusion Monsters that we have grown to love...plus he's still considerably young, and with how he's going, I believe he has potential to be a GREAT bassist.

Anyways, I never mentioned which basslines I love by him...I think he did a really good job w\ A World So Cold, even though it isn't him at his craziest, it complements the song, and I feel makes it more powerful...

Then there's Internal Primates Forever, which I think is one of the most intense sounding metal basslines I've heard, it's like so full of rage and at the same time all over the fretboard.

Not Falling is an awesome song and that bassline stands out so much, as well is really damned fun to play.

Under My Skin is also a very intense song, and I like how he pulls off the muted slap\pop in it..great job...

I've seen them 3 times, and each time, he pulls his stuff practically perfect and adds stuff to it for a more evolved groove in the song. He's definitely very technical and imaginitive, as well as creative..in Metal, it is about time someone stepped outta that damned circle, and for him, big time.

He's definitely good, and I KNOW he will be GREAT when he's older and doing other stuff other than Mudvayne.
  16. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I think the new album (End of all things to come) was good, but the bass on LD50 was much better. so from LD50 id say:

Death Blooms
    Under My Skin (probably my favourite)

And i cant say much for the new album :meh:
  17. I can pretty much agree with you there...I think he took all his good basslines and put it in that album.
  18. Well I guess its just my opinion about him being overrated, but whenever I listen to him I don't see why everyone thinks he is so amazing. I mean he has some pretty cool lines but its not anything I haven't before.

In one Bassplayer magazine featuring him it talked about all these "crazy and original" techniques he uses like tucking in his fingers when he slaps or using his nails as a pick instead of a plectrum . I have been doing many of the things it stated since I started playing bass.

Plus I don't like the whole "lets act strange, wear our hair in extremely crazy ways and wear face paint so people will think were super hardcore metalheads" mentality. Im sure if Ryan was in a jazz band or a regular rock band, I would like him alot more. But I don't really dig the nu-metal sound of him and Mudvayne.
  19. You don't gotta worry about that anymore, their done with that stage in their carrer ;)

As for the other things you stated, totally your opinion and some will jump on you for it and some wont, but I'm sure we will all live with it :).