Which is your sacrifice

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lowb, May 15, 2002.

1. Playing with musicians of a good standard

5 vote(s)
  2. Playing with musicians I get on with

5 vote(s)
  3. Playing music styles of my choice

11 vote(s)
  4. Playing for money

17 vote(s)
  5. none (I'm Very VERY Blessed)

7 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. lowb

Jul 27, 2000
    London, UK
    Which is your sacrifice, in a band situation

ie:I sacrifice playing with musicians of the same standard as myself; because they're my mates

Or:I sacrifice playing the styles of music that i like for the money, etc

2. my lead guitarist isn't as experienced as the rest of the band, but we don't mind that much..
  3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I think I have a talented band, we get along most of the time, but we play originals; "college rock" or "art rock" or "that experimental crap" according to the booking people around here. Consequently, we don't get into the clubs that pay the best. Art spaces are great but they are all volunteer and have no cash, college gigs can pay though.
  4. craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    the band i'm in now i guess would be considered a "wedding band", although we do also play a lot of clubs around cleveland. overall the band is great. i play with some great musicians, the money is good, etc.

i like the majority of the music we play, but there are a few songs that we play that i really don't enjoy playing.
  5. I happen to play with musicians I dont know very well, which is a sacrifice because you dont wanna make enemies and im therefore only just feeling comfortable with really pushing my ideas.

6. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Generally speaking, I will sacrifice money first. I can't stand playing with musicians, especially other members of the rhythm section, that are not at least my level of playing. I've played with too many bad drummers in the past to have to deal with that now.

Right now, I'm not sacrificing anything.. :) I'm playing the kind of music I want to play, with excellent musicians, we all get along with each other, and we make decent bread playing. I'm a happy camper.
  7. Right now I'm playing in a band where I get along with most, but not all the members. Some of the music isn't exactly to my liking either.

On the plus side, the level of musicianship is outstanding and we do get paid pretty consistently.
  8. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Well, I think judging from that, I'm pretty blessed - I play music I like with good musicians that I get on with. We're not making very much money at the moment, but I don't see that as very much of a sacrifice. I suppose I'm quite lucky in that respect.
  9. Bloodymonkeysinabarrel!!!!!!

i just looked at this poll and realised i sacrifice all of those things

1. Guitarist is not a guitarist, this guy just does not have what it takes to get good, too much GD dist. and he's a "tab learner" he couldn't jam to save his life
    2. i don't get along with that guy, the rest i can tolerate, but there are so many arguments
    3. I don't have any say in what we play, all these wankers ever want to play is punk and Blink 182<scough!> (i must admit though coming up with complex slap lines to go over top of that crap hoppus plays is fun (funny too))
    4. Can't make money. Our guitar player always stuffs his solos, solos bug me enough, but when you completely drop them and drag them all over the floor it's just nasty

well i think i may quite, i'm getting better ocnected with the music scene around here, so i can probably find a new place any way.

EPIFANI OF TODAY!!!!hurrrahhhhh!!
  10. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    In my line of work, the only sacrifices are praise.
  11. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Hey... you need to quit your band rigth now and find some musicians you enjoy and feel confortable playing with......
  12. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    My dignity and self-respect.
  13. I get along well with everyone in the band, we make decent money doing what we all love to do, and most everything is good. I do however have to force myself to play some covers that I don't ever want to hear again, let alone play. I guess thats the price you pay though, playing originals where I'm at doesn't pay the bills. To tell you the truth though, I love playing to an audience and sometimes I feel like I'd pay for the privelage to play, so the cash is a bonus.
  14. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
  15. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I am not playing exacty what I want, but I have fun and do get paid. :)

As I continue with my lessons and gain more experience, we'll see what happens....
  16. My sacrifice is money and time. Not just playing time, either. But all the time spent sitting and wondering if anyone will ever really want to be in a band with me.
  17. the guitarist in my band has done 6 years of music school (conservatorium) so he is pretty damn good. The drummer just started the same music school, so the musical skills are very ok in my band. I guess my "sacrifice" is the style of music. We play (mostly) the Police like songs witch is cool but I would like to play some more prog/heavier stuff like Jelly Jam/Platypus.
  18. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I play in two bands. In the first band I am without doubt the best musician and I'm not too keen on the music we play - mostly 60's and 70's rock covers - but we're good mates and usually have a good time together.

The other band I have is with equally good friends (one of them has been one of my best friends for 15 years), but we are pretty much on the same level musically, and I am very active in writing stuff for that band, stuff which mostly turns out to work very well with the other guys. Only downside is that due to the other members' busy lives, we don't rehearse as often as I (and the others too, I hope) would want to.

The thing I sacrifice with both bands is money. But I don't care about that, since I get my income elsewhere.