Which ISP do you use?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Blackbird, Dec 18, 2002.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I am currently using my roommate's pacbell account, and while the price is right, It sure is annoying once in a while. Right now I'm using my free Netzero account, but would like to get something better and faster.

1) Which ISP do you use? Which one do you prefer?

2) Is it possible to have two people in different residences share one DSL account?

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
  3. 1) I use a Shaw cable modem :) Tasty.

2) Yes, but it's not particularly legal... how close do the two of you live together?

4. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    AOL, unfortunately! I've been using their free trial for the past year now. Every time I called to cancel they would give me 2 more free months! Finally the time came when I had to start paying. When I told them that I was going to go with Earthlink because it's slightly cheaper and faster(IMO), they matched their price, promised to send me a faster modem(V90), and will take an additional $9 off a month if I fill out an e-mail survey every 2 weeks.

Man, these guys are agressive! Guess that's what makes them the #1 ISP. I'm still waiting for my "faster" modem.:rolleyes: Haven't received the surveys yet either.
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I use version.net DSL service.
  6. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    No. Only one DSL account per phone number. Separate DSL accounts would have to be physically set up at both locations.

...and, to answer the original thread question, I use AOL. I can't complain about the service. The connection rarely gets dropped and my connection rate ranges from 47k-49k out of a possible 53k.
  7. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Earthlink dial-up (it sux) but I am switching to AT&T Broadband this week..finally...IF your gonna stay with dial-up go with AT&T- they are the cheapest (minus juno and netzero which bite) and have the best connections that I know of. Polkahero, I am so sorry to hear your stuck with America Off-Line.;)
  8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    T-Online DSL flatrate (Deutsche Telekom)
  9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Another AOL abuser. Between my girlfriend and I, we've had free AOL for about 14 months now.
  10. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
  11. With a little luck I'll get my GPRS phone today, and then I'll be surfing at home! 16€/month is hard to beat!
  12. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Blackbird - If you had the two computers networked, you could do it easily. You said you're using your roommate's account? If the two computers are pretty close together you can network them together, and share one connection.
  13. I use a local DSL provider. 768k SDSL.

It's not as fast as my cable modem was but it doesn't have an upload cap and they don't care if I run a server, so now I host my own domain instead of paying someone else for web space. $45 a month :D
  14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

15. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    So how do you connect to the internet, Bruce?
  16. Bruce Lindfield

17. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Presumably you still use an ISP, though?
  18. Bruce Lindfield

19. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Erm... so when you dial up, who are you dialling up to?