Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which jacks should I get?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Phat Ham, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I'm gonna make my own A/B box in the empty half of a funklogic rackmount kit for my FMR compressor. Bob Gollihur graciously sent me a schematic for how to do this, so now all I have to do is get the parts. That's where you guys come in. I was checking Radioshack.com and they have about 400 different 1/4" jacks. I'm guessing I want plate mount mono jacks, but there were a few of those to choose from. I also need a DPDT switch. Where can I get one of those?

2. A simple, 2-lug mono 1/4" plate jack will be all you need unless you are:

- running TRS/balanced 1/4" cables, in which case you'd need a stereo 1/4" jack

or

- running a circuit with a battery saver, in which case you'd need a 3-lug mono jack (or possibly a stereo jack) in order to "switch" the battery on when you insert a cable.

Switches are pretty easy...

SPST - single pole, single throw. 2 lugs, on or off.
    SPDT - single pole, double throw. 3 lugs, on or off.
    DPST - double pole, single throw. 4 lugs, on or off (lets you switch 2 separate circuits from the one switch)
    DPDT - double pole, double throw. 6 lugs, on or off (again, lets you switch 2 sep. circuits)
    ...and onwards...

The main thing with the DPDT switch - make sure the switch shaft is grunty enough or else you're likely to break the thing when stomping with vigour! ;)

Hope this helps! (a bit)

3. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    "Mahatma Gandhi, as you know, walked barefoot most of the time, which produced an impressive set of callouses on his feet. He also ate very little, which made him rather frail and with his odd diet, he suffered from bad breath. This made him ....what? "

He also wore a diaper.

4. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    You can find better quality components than those at Radio Slack at any specialty electronics store. Also, if you explain to their staff what you're trying to do, they should be able to help with the details.