Which Jaco album would you higly recommend me buying?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Lowend4s, Apr 17, 2002.

1. supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    Doesnt this belong in recordings?

If not I highly recommend anything by "Weather Report" or his self titled "Jaco"
  2. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Any of the following:
    -Word of Mouth
    -Birthday Concert
    -Twins 1 & 2 (i little spendy)
    -Rare Collection (ditto)
    With Weather Report:
    -Heavy Weather
    -Mr. Gone
    -Night Passage
    -Black Market (it's a great album even though he only plays on a couple tracks)
    with Joni Mitchell:
    -Shadows and Light
    -Don Juan's Reckless Daughter
    -Pat Metheney - Bright Size life
    hmmm i'm forgetting a lot of good ones...
  3. kcdbass

Feb 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Former Sales/Web, Sadowsky Guitars
    there are several releases on big world records (produced by neil weiss) ... i'm not sure which volume it is, but the cover says "trio" ... it's just jaco, hiram bullock on guitar, and kenwood dennard on drums. i think it's volume two, but the opening track is "wipe out" ...

"teen town" and "ode to billy joe" are jaco and the band at their absolute spontaneous best.

if you need further information on how to obtain these recordings please contact me and i'll get the info for you.

peace ...
  4. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    What about Rick Derringer's "All American Alien Boy"?
    I'm a full blown Jaco fanatic (even got to see him with Weather Report in '77 and WOM in '82), but I've never heard this album by Derringer. Is it any good?
  5. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    i thought "All American Alien Boy" was a Ian Hunter album...

How good is the quality on that live in new york album, kcd? I've heard one where the sound quality was aweful (sounded like it was recorded on a portable cassette player.) Plus jaco's playing wasn't as good as it was on other recordings.
  6. Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    :eek: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! These are with out doubt THE WORST introduction to Jaco, they're recorded badly, the levels are all over the place (Kenwoods snare is rattling over everything) plus bear in mind Jaco was (to put it delicately) not at his best when these were recorded.

Also Jacos playing a fretted jazz rather than his fretless.

This 'trio' series was 'recorded' by a fan so they're really only worth it if your a completist or are interested in hearing how far downhill he went (mind you Jaco at his worst is still pretty mindblowing), I'd strongly recommend ANYONE to check out the other albums first, I find that most people who 'dont get' Jaco invariably only ever heard him from these Trio recordings and to be honest If I'd heard these first I probably never wouldve gotten into him at all.

Not good at all.
  7. JimK

Dec 12, 1999

DOH! You're right, POT.

Rick Derringer does have an album called All American Boy...
    For years, I wanted the Hunter disc, All American Alien Boy; finally, I picked it up as an import. It does NOT float my boat. IF you're a completist AND IF you can pick it up cheap(& it's now a domestic release)...it's "OK". All IMO.
    Too, I agree, I'm not a fan of those Live In NYC Jaco discs.

Regarding the soon-to-be-released Portrait Of Jaco-
    Anyone else get that e-mail from Bob Bobbing?
  8. I'd say get his self titled album....
  9. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    What was I thinking, of course it was Ian Hunter.
  10. I personally dig Weather Report - "Heavy Weather" and Jaco Pastorius - "Birthday Concert" the best.

maybe you should go to CD Now and listen to the little sound clips they have and buy whatever you like best?
  11. Live in New York City all the way
  12. b0nes83

Dec 14, 2000
    I like the Birthday Concert...its good live music...starts with the Soul Intro to the chicken. love that tune.
  13. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    yes i think it does belong in recordings since it's pertaining more about Jaco's cd's than it is anything else.
  14. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Yep. So how long does it take to make graphics and liner notes/booklet? (i know it probably varies...)
  15. kcdbass

Feb 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Former Sales/Web, Sadowsky Guitars
    personally, i love the birthday concert album also. the sound quality of the live in nyc is kinda raw ... but so what ... jaco was kinda raw ... that was part of his beauty.

i love the live in nyc recordings for that reason. it's like being at the gig, man. like listening to musicians at a garage rehearsal.

in these days of over-polished boy band drivel ... listening to a raw recording of a masterful musician at work (mistakes and all) ... is really refreshing for me.

also, although i was old enough to go see jaco many times ... i never did. i got into him posthumously ... it's the closest i'll ever get to seeing him perform.

never saw zeppelin, either. damn.
  16. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Well, it's hard to limit yourself to just one.

For a good starter package, I recommend Heavy Weather, Mingus, and The Birthday Concert.

I really like Ian Hunter's album. Truth be told, I've only really listened to 2 tracks as of yet, but I really dig AAAB. I don't know why, it's kind of infectious. I really dig Jaco's solo and I love the snare.
  17. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    What I do like about the Live in NYC series is what you're sayin'-
    I like the loose vibe, the "let's jam on some Classic R&B/Jazz tunes" ideal.
    As an intro to Jaco?
    ...uh, nah.

Prior to your daze here @TB, many a thread started like this-
    "Jaco ain't all that".
    When pressed as to what that poster had actually heard, invariably, it was something like, "Well, I have one of them NYC cds".

I dunno; II'm not too thrilled with Jaco's tone on that disc...AAAB was released at the very cusp of Jaco-mania, too(roughly in the same time frame as his debut). Granted, I was not expecting to hear Ian Hunter in a Fusion-fest...I mean, look at Joni's stuff & how well that turned out. The potential was there; IMO, the potential wasn't realized. Glad to hear you like it, though.

Bob Bobbing(of Portrait Of Jaco fame)sent an e-mail out yesterday...after POJ, there's a plan to issue single cds of Jaco in Woodchuck, Tommy Strand, & Wayne Cochrane & The C.C. Riders...

...hopefully, while we're young! ;)
  18. Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    DEFINITELY NOT as an intro to Jaco.
    (mind you he fairly burns on teen town on Vol 2).

I first heard him on Joni Mitchells Hejira album and I still think (imo) the best live recordings of him are the birthday concert and Mitchells shadows and light (The tone on 'In france they kiss on main street' is awesome).
  19. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Another good one (well, they're all good imho) that I don't think has been mentioned is the DVD of the Word Of Mouth (small band) live in Montreal '82.