Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Jamiroquai

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I want to get more CDs, but I don't know where to start. I have had Traveling Without Moving for years, but what else is really great from them?

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Well besides "Travelling" I really dig....

Emergency on Planet Earth
    THe Return Of the Space Cowboy
    Synkronized
    A Funk Odyssey
    Dynamite

:D

Though Stu was a killer player and a bit more influencial. I like the songs of the newer stuff better. The newest ain't half bad, the first 2 have the best bass work and I think I listen to Synkronized the most... but just barely.

3. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Emergency on Planet Earth
    The Return Of the Space Cowboy

Just buy them both, you know you want to, both excellent albums, I own both and Traveling Without Moving, currently listening to it as we speak, Use The Force :D.

4. momo

momo

Oct 22, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Space cowboy is great, but IMO, it is just a bit too Stevieish (I just made that word up). FO is great, good diverse material, but I do miss Stu Zender's playing a lot.

5. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Return of the Space Cowboy is without a doubt my favorite. The bass grooves on it are just nasty...

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I broke out the CD of that recently and was surprised at how good the bass playing is - hadn't played it for a while and had forgotten how good Zender was and what a shame that nothing since has been so interesting or funky...:meh:

I think what has put me off listening for a while is that the first track is pretty dull - but all the rest have great bass playing and grooves - I'd suggest skipping the first track if you haven't heard this CD before. :)

7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Thanks guys! I'm definitely getting Return of the Space Sowboy and Emergency on Planet Earth. These are both Stuart Zender CDs, right?

8. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Yep.

9. I like em all - my preference would be A Funk Oddyssey an Dynamite - just for the great production and clrity of the recordings - killer bassline on 'Starchild'.

10. Bruce Lindfield

No I think Dr. Cheese has got it right - those first two albums are way better than the more recent albums - I own them all and Dynamite is OK for playing in the car, but It's certainly not up to the standard of those 1st two!

11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    it's art and a matter of taste. I prefer to listen to the newer stuff. Like I said I listen to Synkronized and Dynomite most out of them all (I own them all too... as well as a DVD). For as great as Stu was in the band... for me, the songs are better in the more recent releases.

12. Bruce Lindfield

I think the songs are less memorable and this has been borne out in the UK by how long they stayed around in the charts ..

"Too young to die " from "Emergency.." was a huge hit and for me still their best song - the definitive Jamiroquai tune and "Space Cowboy" was equally big a hit - but their recent stuff has hardly dented the charts and not hung around at all...:meh:

I think they have become more "Easy Listening" as Jay has thrown out the band members and their recent stuff for me is Jamiroquai "Lite" - still better than most , but a watered-down version of their earlier triumphs!! :)

13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    I don't do TV or Radio... so charts mean absolutely zero. I like what I like. Good or Bad, that's mine.

I can't wait for the next disc... I like Rob Harris' guitar playing a lot and the live stuff I've heard with the core of him, Paul Turner and Derrick McKenzie seem real tight.

Stu in Jay's band today could easily change my mind... no doubt he WAS the man on bass within Jamiroquai. But I'm just talking tunes now, not chops.

14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
  15. Maverick Blues

Maverick Blues Being a Thumper is all about ATTITUDE!

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Ya know, the only thing I could think as I was listening to that last cut was...

"Disco's making a comeback???" ;)

'rick

16. Bruce Lindfield

That's exactly my feeling - so Synkronised was "Disco" whereas their first 3 albums were :

Da Funk!! ;)

17. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    well, I was raised in a home that was regularly filled with middle aged folks in leather and misc other shiny bits listening to loud Disco music on weekend nights.

I find I instinctively know the melody, phrasings and words to a lot of disco that I don't think I've ever heard before :help:

18. Without weighing in on the debate, I will say this:

Stuart Zender was 16 years old when he recorded Emergency On Planet Earth.

:eek:

19. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    It depends, really. I like them all, but you can see a distinct transition in the band when Stuart left. That being said, I really like Nick's playing and the new CD is awesome. So, if you have traveling withough moving, then get these:

1.) 2001: A Funk Oddessey
    2.) Dynamite
    3.) The Return of the Space Cowboy.

If you have and use eMule or Bittorrent, grab some of the live recordings. I believe that Jamiroquai made some of these available at their website for awhile, so I wouldn't feel too bad downloadng them. My favs are:

1.) Funky Paradise, 2 CDs (Stuart)
    2.) Rock am Ring (Nick)

Or you could go the DVD route. The Live in Verona is really good.

Yes, my friends say I have an unhealth fixation on Jamiroqaui :hyper: I can't help it, I like good music :)

20. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Oh yeah...hah. I forgot my opinion of Dynamite has shorta changed after I keep seeing all the goofy TV comercials using the new songs. I think that "Feels Just like it should" is like used on a shampoo commercial and "Dynamite" is used on something equally as silly.