Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Jazz Bass Pickups Have the Most Growl?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by EString, Dec 27, 2001.

1. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Which Jazz Bass pickups would you say have the greatest amount of nasty, snarling growl?

2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I don't know about some others, but the Duncan Basslines J's in my Lakland 55-63 are just about all I can handle in terms of snarly growl. I love it, but I have to use the passive tone to cut back a bit on things that don't require that tone.

3. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    I think I may go with Quarter-Pounders.

4. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    You might ask a dealer, or call Duncan directly, but I think you'll find that the Quarter Pounders are more traditional-sounding than the Basslines.

5. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Quarter-Pounders ARE Basslines. Basslines is the name of the division of Seynour Duncan that makes bass pickups.

6. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Right, but the models are different if I'm not mistaken.
    They ARE all Basslines, yes.... I guess what I refer to is the model of my pickups: 67/60 and 70/74.

What I wonder is, are these somehow different from the old Quarter Pounders that we all used to install in our J basses in the '70s and '80s.

7. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Laklands use the SJB-1 Vintage for Jazz-Bass; the standard model Basslines Jazz Bass pickup. THe SJB-3 Quarter-Pound for Jazz Bass is their nastiest, highest output model.

8. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I was under the impression that the Quarter Pounders had more treble, or bite. I associate growl with midrange. I was thinking, and this is based on hearsay not my experience, Bart 9W4J.

9. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Okay...Hell, you learn something new every day! ;)