1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which Jazz Bass Pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sgtpepper, Mar 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Fender N3 Noiseless

6 vote(s)
    12.2%
  2. SD Quarter Pound Basslines

14 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. DiMarzio Ultra Jazz

29 vote(s)
    59.2%
  1. sgtpepper

sgtpepper

Jan 22, 2010
    Mexico City
    Hello everyone,

I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of Jazz Bass pickups for my VM Squier 70's Jazz Bass. It is "heavily" modified with a lot of Fender parts (picture for reference). This bass didn't last even a day as she came out of the shop. As soon as I arrived home on that NBD I began to change parts and drill holes for the ashtrays and new Fender-stamped tuners. I liked the Duncan Designed pickups it came with since I tested it in the local music store so new pickups were not my priority back then. But now the GAS has taken my soul again and want to change the pickups for a better sound. I personally like the options I'm giving here (I'm not going to tell you my favorite till the end haha). So please vote and give me some advice based on your experience with these options if you own them or have played a bass with a set of these.

Also these questions:

Is it hard to install them myself? (Never messed with the electronics of my instruments, just cosmetic changes)
    Should I change the stock pots?

Thanks in advance guys.

Attached Files:

MovingPitchers likes this.
  2. Custom Shop 60s by Fender. By far the best pickups I've played on a Jazz Bass.

And no. It's not very hard. There's a ton of tutorials on how to solder on YouTube. It takes a while but you'll get the hang of it.

3. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Is there a reason you chose those three? I'm just asking 'cause I have a feeling you're gonna get a lot of suggestions other than the three in the poll.

I have the QPs in a jazz, but can't say how they'd compare to the others, or even so much how I like them, as I don't play that bass much anymore.

4. I have experience with 2 of the 3 models mentioned in the poll, and prefer the Quarter Pounders to the Ultra Jazzs by a smidge; about the difference between the true single-coil and humbucker takes on "the J-bass sound with a bit of steroids."

Given my own choice, I would go with DiMarzio Model Js, every time, however.

jazz41 and R&B like this.
  5. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I went with Dimarzio. I'm not a big fan of the noiseless Jazz pickups as they lack a bit of the grit I want. Also not overly entrhralled with the quarter pounders.

The CS60 pickups sound good by themselves, but have a very scooped sound that I find hard to work with.

6. Anachronism

Anachronism Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2014
    MO
    I second the CS 60s. Those, plus a set of DR Pure Blues strings helped save my MiM J from the chop.

7. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    I won't vote, but I'll read this thread to see how my QPs stand up.

I got those on the recommendation of a guitarist I was playing with at the time...

he even offered to install them for me, so I went ahead with it. :D

8. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

If you want a little more "beefiness" to your sound, I'd recommend finding a set of Fender Super 55's. Another plus is they're split-coils in a Jazz package, so no 60-cycle hum. :thumbsup:

9. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    My opinion is the CV jazz stock pup sound sweet.
    With broke in sadowsky flat , it sound fantastic with sweet mid and hi.
    With broke in labella 760fl, I can get thick ,warm and strong lo-mid.

I own a mim jazz with hum free ultra j in 2007, yes, I love it sound with nickel DR low rider roundwound.

10. sgtpepper

sgtpepper

Jan 22, 2010
    Mexico City
    I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that those three came from a bit of research here and online. So those are my options.

As for the CS 60's they are a bit out of my budget.

11. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    You forgot one of the best.
    Lace Sensor Man O' War pickups are as potent as many active pickups, but no battery required.
    If you want to go active, however, Fender Super 55s (their secret Jazz pickups) better noiseless than the others and Audere JZ3 4-band preamp...absolutely no soldering required. I put mine together in about half an hour and before I did that mod the only thing I'd ever done was changing strings.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
    madjazzbass likes this.
  12. Anachronism

Anachronism Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2014
    MO
    At least in the US, the CS 60s are the same price as the N3s at $160 a set.

13. PeaveyPlayer

PeaveyPlayer Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Dunlop super bright nickels

And americanvintage 74 jazz bass pickups

Sounds good on mine!

14. kopio

kopio

May 8, 2012
    Boise, ID
    I really like the scooped sound of the Dimarzios....I put one in an old MTD and loved it. Very bright and cut through the mix with multiple guitarists. BUT...it all depends on what sound you are going for.

15. I have the Seymour Duncan Antiquity I's (not the more-common II's). For what I like (my bass to sound like a bass) they are the best pickups in my opinion. I put them in years ago and the thought of new pickups have never even crossed my mind. My Jazz Bass is bassier than most P Basses.

seang15 likes this.
  16. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    You didn't mention it in your poll but...

Nordstrand NJ4s

Geri O, sheltjo6, Jeff K and 3 others like this.
  17. Dan_reeves

Dan_reeves

Jun 14, 2013
    Beat me to it. Great pickups.

Thundar, jd56hawk and Malak the Mad like this.
  18. leonard

leonard

Jul 31, 2001
    Yurop
    I like my Lollars.

JiroBass likes this.
  19. Ballin'bass

Ballin'bass

Jun 16, 2014
    Madison, WI
    Not in the poll, but if day Nordstrands nj4se/nj4sv. They are the best sounding split coils I've ever heard. Very raw, very organic. The perfect noiseless jazz pup imo.

But if you want straight single coils, I recommend the Nordstrands nj4.

tonym likes this.
  20. I don't like QP's on J. for a P it's one of the 'short list' pups.

I don't think the noiseless J pups really have any character at all.

For DiMarzio, I personally like the DP123 best of what they offer. Out of similar budget constraints that you sound like you are working with, those are what I chose on my MIM J.

R&B likes this.