1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which Jazz bass will become more desirable? - future prediction please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ultra60, May 11, 2018.

1. Am Std Jazz Bass

8 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. USA Geddy Lee

14 vote(s)
    63.6%
  1. ultra60

ultra60 Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2010
    Herndon/Chantilly Va.
    I have ended up with a 2012 black/maple American Standard Jazz as well as a USA Geddy Lee. I plan to move one. I imagine no issues selling either one today. But how about down the road a few years?

Do you think players would want the Am Std based on it's reputation? Or the Geddy, as it's a signature model that may be hard to find at some point in the future?

2. bwildt

bwildt

Mar 21, 2017
    Wichita, Kansas
    I don't think it really matters. In a few years, they will still just be used basses and will be priced as such. My thoughts are that with current instruments, the days of them becoming "vintage" and collectable and increasing in price are over. With mass production, there are just too many around to become rare. My philosophy these days is to buy what you want. Use the snot out of it. If it gets a little banged up, so what? The difference in price of a mint instrument and a nicely used one will only amount to a couple hundred dollars. That's not much of an investment to worry about.

I'd keep the one you like the best and not worry I personally don't like the Geddys and would not be interested in purchasing one. However, it does have a small cult following, so I think there would always be a market for it. The Am Std will always have a market.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings

I wouldn't expect any collectibility for either anytime soon... i.e. less than twenty years or so down the road. Both are very standard layouts and in abundant supply. The exception would be something like a Roscoe Beck, which has appreciated nicely in a relatively short period of time since it's been discontinued.

wmmj likes this.
  4. MMiller28

MMiller28

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    meh

zortation likes this.
  5. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Neither bass will suffer from scarcity any time soon. Keep the one you like best. IMO they are fairly distinct basses from one another.

6. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    American Standard for me. :thumbsup:

baTassi likes this.
  7. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Neither will overwhelm in the future. If anything, they'll fall for several years, perhaps to the $600-700 range

8. ultra60

ultra60 Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2010
    Herndon/Chantilly Va.
    Thanks for the replies. While I can see how my question can be taken as which would be more collectible, down the road, that was not really what I was after. I was just curious as to what people thought might be more desirable in the future. The Geddy is currently leading in the poll. I get it, but I'm leaning towards keeping the Am Std, as it works better for me. Thanks all!

9. Wait until the year 2112 (only 94 years from now!), THEN see what the Geddy is worth!

baTassi likes this.