1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which Jazz Basses have a neck most like a '70s jazz neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by P-punk, Nov 24, 2010.

1. I'm looking for a Jazz Bass to complement my P-basses. Have tried (and owned) a few Jazz Basses but the necks are all too skinny for me, except my friends '78 Fender Jazz.

So far I've tried the American Standard, Road Worn, G&Ls #8 neck, MIJ '75RI and Fender '64 CS. However none of them are as thick/deep as I'd like.

So are there any other brands with fatter necks? Lakland? Fender MIA '75?

Any help appreciated.

I know that the best thing would be to test them myself, but living in a small town, in a small country in Europe, there aren't that many basses to be tried. :(

2. heinpete

heinpete

Apr 9, 2008
    Hesse, Germany
    :oops:...just try the MIM Classic '70 Jazz Bass. :hyper:It is available all over Europe in black and 3TS finish. Make sure you get a two piece body!;)

3. Thanks.

So the MIM Classic '70s have a fat neck like the original '70s jazzes?

I've never seen them in any of my local shops, but I'll look around and see if I can find one.

Any other brands/types with fatter necks?

4. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Banned

Jun 30, 2010
    Manhattan
    The Marcus Miller Sig.

5. Gort

Gort Banned

Nov 3, 2010
    Area 51
    I don't know if it matters to you but you may want to measure the width of neck at the nut (including the binding) on your friends '78 Jazz.

You may find it's actually 1-7/16" (about 36.5mm) wide at the nut compared to the 1-1/2" (38mm) used now.

6. I didn't know that the there's different neck widths, so I'll measure my friends bass.

Thanks for the tip about the MM sig, I'll check out that one as well.