1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which jazz neck, Fender, Warmoth, or other?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by blockinlay, Apr 19, 2010.

Which neck, Fender, Warmoth, or other?

Poll closed Apr 29, 2010.
  1. Fender

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. Warmoth - options?

14 vote(s)
    53.8%
  3. Other

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  1. blockinlay

blockinlay

Feb 21, 2009
    Phila Pa
    I am looking to put a higher end jazz neck on a MIM precision body. Considering going with a basic american Fender, or a cool looking Warmoth, like quartersawn/ebony or rosewood, a cool exotic wood, or flame/flame maple. Maybe even one with block inlay. I figure $350 to $500 for a decent neck.

I'm really undecided. Help me decide.

I have an american Fender jazz with rosewood on it now, but I want to put that neck back on the bass I took it from. I've built several guitars with Warmoth necks, as well as some with factory Fender, so I know either would be fine, I just can't decide. Can't decide on the fret size either, I was thinking 6150.

Would you recommend I try something else, USACG, or graphite? Let me know. Thanks

2. screaminglucy

screaminglucy

Jul 20, 2009
    TX, USA
    USACG is the best IMO. best bang for the buck though is Allparts

3. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    warmoth makes excellent necks.
    for more a custom looking neck, id go warmoth.
    high quality, good price.
    the vintage fret size is what i normally get it.
    what are you stringing it with?

4. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    +1
    ive played on those.
    but only used warmoth in my own.
    and as far as custom features go, i really like warmoth.

5. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum)

I put an Allparts Jazz fretless neck on a Warmoth P body and am well pleased. Unless you are looking for exotic woods I cannot imagine Fender or Warmoth making a better neck and especially for the money.

6. blockinlay

blockinlay

Feb 21, 2009
    Phila Pa
    What size is vintage at warmoth? I'm not that up on string types. I've used only roundwound, but might try flatwound on this bass.

7. blockinlay

blockinlay

Feb 21, 2009
    Phila Pa
    I looked at Allparts. My buddy I got the body from offered me a neck at his cost from them. Allparts necks list the nut at 1-9/16", and the heels as 2-7/16". I'd prefer the 1-1/2" nut and 2-1/2" heel, as I like the smaller nut, and my heel pocket is already a bit oversize. Don't Allparts necks come from Japan?

8. screaminglucy

screaminglucy

Jul 20, 2009
    TX, USA
    i bought a neck that was listed at 1 9/16" and it was actually 1.5" when i got it. Allparts necks are made in Japan or the USA.

9. I got this neck from Allparts. Worth every penny.

10. blockinlay

blockinlay

Feb 21, 2009
    Phila Pa
    Did that neck require much work to the frets to get the finish off?

11. funkmangriff

funkmangriff

Dec 29, 2007
    status graphite

:bag:

12. No, not at all. A few fret ends did need a small bit of attention however.

13. drjake

drjake

Jan 16, 2009
    What do these necks sound like though? I have a 62' Reissue Jazz Bass, made in Japan 93-94. It puts out a great big meaty sound for rock (which is what I play), but I feel I want more brightness, more shape to work with in the tone, better slapping possibilities. Someone told me that the rosewood fretboard I have now sort of absorbs the tone, and that Maple fretboard would maybe help. So here I am looking at getting a new neck. But how the heck am i gonna know what i'm gonna get sound wise? I know i really want vintage, but $ doesn't permit it. any thoughts/suggestions on my situation would be welcome.

14. drjake

drjake

Jan 16, 2009
    $410 bucks for a neck? And it's not vintage or something? i dont understand! My bass sounds pretty darn good and cost me $500. What is so great about these necks?

15. funkmangriff

funkmangriff

Dec 29, 2007
    +1

if the necks not comfortable then why did you buy it?

the neck is, IMO, one of the most important parts, if i don't find it plays 'itself' then it puts me off the bass in the first place.

16. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    This is luthier's corner - build a new neck yourself! There's more than enough expertise and support to do so. :D Otherwise, this thread probably would be better off in the basses forum...

17. blockinlay

blockinlay

Feb 21, 2009
    Phila Pa

I've been contemplating building from scratch. I've been saving a very old 5/4 plank of Honduran mahogany, and a couple long slabs of hard rock maple just wide enough for a Tele head.

18. blockinlay

blockinlay

Feb 21, 2009
    Phila Pa
    Thanks for voting and helping with comments. I went for the Warmoth padouk/rosewood with 6130 frets. I have a padouk/rosewood neck from them on an explorer guitar I built and it's always been my favorite guitar neck. Hope this one is as nice.
    I'll be cutting the bone nut myself. Now I have to decide whether to use the MIM licensed by Schaller tuners I took off the MIM neck, or go with something else. Thinking about using flatwound strings too. Never tried them before.

19. blockinlay

blockinlay

Feb 21, 2009
    Phila Pa
    [​IMG]
    My bass turned out great. Finished it this morning after getting the strings yesterday. Went with La Bella 760FM's. The bass came together pretty easy. Used Hipshot Ultralite tuners. Took a while to get them perfectly straight, but wanted to take my time. I don't like guitars with crooked tuners. I superglued a little shim of bone on the curved part of a pre-cut Fender nut and filed it to sit on Warmoth's flat nut cutout. The Warmoth jazz neck came with a couple tiny dings on the fretboard at the 12th fret right between the dots. Warmoth said for me to fill it with rosewood dust and superglue. Now I still have to check the set up, but it plays and sounds pretty good like it is. Not a bad bass for a total cost of $440.
    I've been thinking about a Bergantino AE410 to go with that MarkBass head. What's a good price for a used one? Project done, gass'n already.