1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which Jazz pickups sound like a 51-p?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ojo, Oct 7, 2013.

1. ojo

ojo Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2006
    Round Lake
    Hi all,

I have a 51 p reissue with a Duncan SCPB-3 that I absolutely love, and want to get close to that tone with my fretless jazz.

So, I'm looking for the jazz bass equivalent of a 51 p pickup. That is, I won't modify the instrument, and I want a direct drop in to the existing Fender routes.

I know that there will be subtle differences due to the shape and placement of the pickup, but I'd like to get closer than the Model J's I have in there now.

When searching the forums, it looks like Delano and Aero have single pole pickups that might do the trick. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Thanks in advance!

2. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    I don't think any jazz pickup you can put in there will sound like that. You might be able to put a 51P pickup in depending on the rout for the pickup and slightly modify the pickguard?

3. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Any single-coil j-pickup, including stock Fender, will get you closer to that sound than a model J will. You can run the neck pu solo, but you're right, the pu position is somewhat different from an early P-bass and so the result will be as well.

4. ojo

ojo Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2006
    Round Lake
    Thanks for the quick replies.

I thought there was an inherent tonal difference between single pole and double pole pickups due to how the string comes in contact with the mag field.

From what I read, part of the reason the SCPB-3 is so massive sounding was the large, single pole magnets. That's why I was thinking that I could get closer to that sound by using single pole jazz pickups.

As a side note, there's even one pickup builder that makes a double pole "jazz" pickup in a 51 p housing.

5. bassdude51

bassdude51 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    I think that the Delanos are ceramic and that probably is not gonna sound like your Duncan SCPB-3 that you want to copy.

Isn't the Duncan SCPB-3 the 1/4 pounder?

Have someone wind you a J neck pickup with the same large pole magnets, one pole per string and match the ohms and that is about as close as your gonna get in copying the sound that you want.

IMHO

6. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    It is, and thats a great idea.

7. How about a SD jazz 1/4 er ? I think '51 style p pups sound closer to a jazz than a split coil p pup to begin with. Location will have more effect on final tone, but should get you close with no cutting.

8. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    A word of caution; if you're after the SD 1/4 pounder sound, you don't want a traditional SCPB pickup...big difference.

Why not call/email SD and get their recommendation?

9. I believe the OP is trying to get close to the tone of his SD SCB 3, Seymour 's 1/4 lb. hot version of a ' 51 p pup. The jazz version is similar in build but will fit the jazz rout .

10. iiipopes

iiipopes

May 4, 2009
    I would try an overwound Lindy Fralin Split Jazz. The two shorter coils a little bit wider, with a little more wire to get a little more body and a tad less top end might work well. The articulation will be a little bit smoother with the dual poles per string than the single of a '51 single coil Precision, but that may make up for the difference in coil geometry.