1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

WHich jazz to buy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LAW, Aug 18, 2007.

1. LAW

LAW

Jun 23, 2005
    My problem:
    Too many Fender Jazz basses to choose from.
    I have been looking at Fender Jazzes for a few weeks and have found 2 that I like:
    1. Brand New Standard MIA Highway 1-bolt on neck
    2. Brand new 60th anniversary deluxe edition MIA with neck
    thru and noiseless pickups

The Highway 1 is aroun $650.
    The 60th anniversary is about $1100

They both sound and feel amazing. Both necks are slim and fast. The only difference is the sustain that can be had with the neck thru. I know that either one will last me a lifetime. I'm just getting into Fender Jazz basses and need some input as to which one would be a better choice.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Luke

2. RADUB1

RADUB1

May 11, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Anniv. Deluxe

3. a jazz bass neck thru?! i must see this

4. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    U mean string thru body right?

5. Yea it has to be string thru body,because Fender does not make a neck through Am.Deluxe or any other for that matter.Unless it's a wierd prototype I haven't heard of.Hope this helps.:confused:

6. I guess I can post this under this, it's about a jazz bass. Anyone have a Standard Jazz MIM? If so, how does it compare to the MIA? I have an Ibanez SR500 that I just got and I like it a lot. I have a BTB400QM also though and I am considering getting a MIM jazz. Thanks. (I'm keeping the SR500).

7. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I would start a new thread with this question, or better yet do a search as its been posted about many times before and you might find your answer in an older thread somewhere.

To the OP, ask yourself if the 60th sounds and plays 2x better than the Highway One. I think they are both great basses, but do the extra options of the Deluxe justify paying 2x the price? If so, jump on it. Otherwise, get the Highway One and spend the extra dough on a new bass cab or something.

8. Reinholds

Reinholds

Jun 26, 2006
    Victor Bailey 4-string or 5-string - song great , no upgrades needed to work perfectly...

9. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    Never heard of a MIA with neck thru...:eyebrow:

10. JebSmells

JebSmells

Jul 23, 2007
    UK
    go with the standard, no frills fun for a lifetime, i really want one again! (wish people would stop talking about jazzes, givin me GAS all over again, i just got over my last bout for the lakland DJ signature) :hyper: :scowl:

11. LAW

LAW

Jun 23, 2005
    I was mistaken about the neck thru. It is a string thru body. I went back and played them both again yesterday. The anniversary edition sounds great but not 2x the price great. Can anyone tell me what would be the next step up from the highway 1? I see deluxe MIA's at Guitar center but there is nothing there I really like so I might have to order one. Only problem is I don't know which to order.

Too many models to choose from I guess.

12. Terry_R

Terry_R

Aug 5, 2006
    Canada
    I have both the Sr500 and the Mim Jazz and let me just say the Sr500 blows the jazz away.

13. Terry R....thanks for the input. I think the SR500 is a nice bass. I haven't had the chance to play a MIM jazz, i've only been reading up on them.

14. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    If you want my honest opinion....

With the two choices you suggest, I'd go with the MIA. The other bass, while being a good one, is just not that much better than the MIA, especially for the price.

However...since you are on the bubble, want to or need to buy a bass and forcing yourself to settle for one or the other....I say keep playing more and more basses. Go from one Fender shop to the next play em all till one just jumps in your hands and won't let go. The "right" bass will just sing to you and you won't want to put it down.

If that is not possible, gut it up and buy one of the two you mention. The bass will come along eventually....

15. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Yeah... The MIA Jazz is the way to go. Add a Badass bridge and a pro set up and you'll be set. I agree with ProfGumby- play as many American Fenders as you can. Every one in the store or in town. You will find "The One"

16. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I think so.

I owned a 60th for a couple of months and it blew away a HWY1 I played while testing it out.

The HWY1 was $800 and I paid $1250 for the 60th, so at 1.5x it was worth it to me.