1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which JBL 12" for bass guitar?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by louloomis, Apr 11, 2006.

1. louloomis

louloomis Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Hi. I believe that once upon a time, JBL made a 12" speaker for bass guitar. Does anyone know the model # of this speaker?

Thanks,
    LL

2. Aloha,

I believe that was the 2206.

John

3. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    Pretty sure it was the 2212.

4. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I used to own a homemade cab with a 2204H in it. Sounded wonderful but was so heavy (11 kg).

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    JBL has made a number of twelves with the 22** designation over the years. They aren't specifically intended for electric bass, but they can be so employed. The electric guitar E120 model isn't suited to bass.

6. jz0h4d

jz0h4d

Apr 26, 2005
    JBL never made a 12 inch speaker for bass guitar. There are 12 stereo woofers available.

7. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    The 12 inch JBL speaker, although not quite as low sounding than the 2226, was loud and extremely tight. You had to give it a lot of power though. It was the 2000 series and was not solely designed for bass, but I can definately see it in this function. It was designed for large touring sound systems and wedge monitors, but so was the 2226, and I use it in a 115 cab, and sounds really good.

8. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    I've got a D-120 in a little cabinet that several bassists used over the years, including myself and my girlfriend, and although it takes a bit of eq it actually sounds quite usable.

9. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Same deal, the older D120 is a midrange driver, the very low Qts chokes off response below 200 Hz. Fine for guitar, marginal at best for bass.

10. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    Actually sounds pretty good. Again like I said, it took a bit of eq to make it workable.
    In a day when most people thought of 15's for bass it turned a lot of heads.

11. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    When I used them they were better than anything else I'd ever heard. That was 1968. Things have changed a bit since then.

12. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    They definitely had a great product, especially compared to what the market standard was at the time.
    The one I've got in that cabinet is a Fender grey labeled D-120.