Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Joni Mitchelle cd's did Jaco play one.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Aug 23, 2002.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Like the subject says and were they any good or just very simple lines?

Also what madonna cd did Victor Bailey play on.

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Going by memory-

Jaco & Joni:
    Heijira
    Don Juan's Reckless Daughter
    Mingus
    Shadows & Light(Live 2-cd set; there's even a DVD/VHS available, too).

All, IMO, are essential. ;)
    All, IMO, are prime examples of simpatico between Jaco & Joni.
    ...I wouldn't say they're of the "simple" variety, either. But that's me. ;)

3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    What Jim said!!!! I don't think Victor played on Madonna's albums.....just did the tours.

4. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    i remember seeing victor play in the background of a madonna video... I can't remember if it was from a tour or not.

5. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    When Madonna did Saturday Night Live right after she hooked up with Victor & Omar Hakim, the groove was killer!! Watch for the reruns on Comedy Central.

6. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    For me, Don Juan's Reckless Daughter is an album that i listen to over and over again and never get sick of.

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I remember seeing that on its first run & I almost s*** a brick! Dammit, Weather Report's rhythm section, LIVE on TV, backing up Madonna?!
    "Fever" was the tune...I went out that Sunday & bought the album & was I disappointed(sequenced, no Omar/Bailey, either).

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree - although there are some "simple lines" there - everything is wonderful. I often think people who don't "get" Jaco should listen to these albums first, as a lot of the time it is just Joni and Jaco with understated drums/percussion. The variety of sounds and feels that Jaco creates is incredible - he often sounds like a whole orchestra and it is an incredible contrast if you listen to later Joni albums - how dull they sound in comparison, although the songs are still great.

9. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I love the outro of Paprika Plains.......after John Gurein hits the toms and the band just explodes!

10. rustyshakelford

rustyshakelford

Jul 9, 2002
    I recall reading in a Victor Bailey intervew (maybe in the Fender Bass magazine) that Madonna used to admonish Victor and Omar for tacking on bits of Weather Report tunes to her songs.

I think the exact words, as told by Victor, she said were, "...and don't play any of that Weather Report s... at the end of my songs!".

What a hoot.

I wonder if the fans would have enjoyed it or not. I bet they would have enjoyed it.