Which J's requier a preamp ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by NJXT, May 18, 2001.

1. NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Which Jazz Bass replacement pick-up realy need to be active or be set with a preamp ?
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I was talking to a guy at Gard's store in Florida and he told me that when you buy a Bartolini, it comes with the harness. No preamp needs to be purchased.
  3. NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Rick, always there !
    Thank you.

By the way, I rehearse last night with my MIM JB on my Warwick CCL combo for the fisrt time.
    I was a bit disappointed.
    I got tons of low end on the E string but I tried hard to get some mids to cut through the mix from the A and D strings with no result. I've tried to EQ my amp in every possible way but I didn't find the right set up, if it exists.
    (set up on the bass : neck pup on 7 or 8, bridge pup on 10 and tone between 3 and 10).
    Although, it slapped really, really good (neck and bridge pup on ten). Lots of bottom and lots of brightness. Great.
    But it renforces me in my decision to change the pups.
    With my 5er and its 2 Barts soapbars (passive), I have trouble getting really "high highs" (I don't really care) but I can have tons of mids, or lows, smooth or growling.
    So Barts on no Barts for the MIM ? I still haven't figure it out ;)
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

NJXT - I'm surprised and NOT surprised to hear that about your mids. Surprised because I thought an expensive amp like a Warwick would offer lots of tone shaping, (although I've not had the pleasure to try one; in the USA, I've never even seen one). But I'm not surprised, in that, apparently your Warwick isn't getting the mids to begin with. Which means, the inexpensive MIM pups don't offer much for the mid freq's.

Not to infer that Barts are the best, they're just the make that I've researched the most - You can get a lot of mid emphasis with them, depending on the harness you select. For instance, they offer a 5-knob harness, the HR-5.3, which is set up for a 3 position mini-toggle switch where you can fool around with your mid ranges at 250/500/800Hz's. I'm getting something called their 4.4AP harness which doesn't even appear in their catalog. I can't even remember what mad control it has over active/passive-mid freq's because I was too busy listening to the guy at Bass Central explain it to me to write it down. But it has an $11 option that made a lot of sense to me.

Finally, are you using flatwounds? I'm using DR "Marcus" (Fat Beams) roundwounds. One major I like them is because of the mids they emphasize. I normally wouldn't mention this because sound is so subjective, but in the latest Bass Player magazine, the article on Marcus Miller mentions him saying, "People have mentioned that my Jazz bass sounds different track to track. That's probably due to varying amounts of compression, but also because I switched from DR Hi-Beams to...Fat Beams...halfway through the sesssions. DR used different metals to give the strings a more pronounced midrange."

Bon chance, mon ami!
  5. NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Well, the Warwick has some sort of natural smiley EQ but has a two parameters mid control and a "punch" control that allow me to get some nice mids and low-mids ... but with my 5 strings equipped with barts. I think I can mostly blamed the MIM's pups for that matter.
    This afternoon, I'm going to visit my favourite tech/shop to have the MIM re-setup (the first reheasal has been lethal ;) ) and ask him about replacement pups.
    I'll let you know.
    Thank you again.
  6. NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Last update ! Breaking news !
    I've just came back from my usual shop and picked up some new pups.
    They had some Seymour Duncan Basslines, DiMarzio's, EMG and Barts.

The choice in Bartolini's replacement pups for Jazz Bass is quite poor in France.
    Onnly the S and W models are imported. No J, no K.
    Sometimes, I feel like living in the thirld world.

Well, after discussing with the 2 techs I trust in there, about the kind of tone I wanted, a few names dropping (Jaco, Marcus ... the usual ;) ), they advise me to pick the "Barto", as we say in France, and that W models are not better than S without a preamp. Since I want to go passive ...
    So, I left my MIM there and they'll mount the pups and re setup it. I should get it back next week.
    I can hardly wait