Which kind of Bass should I start out with??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SnowBaby518, Jan 13, 2004.

1. SnowBaby518

SnowBaby518 Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    Southern Cali- US of A
    See...I would like to start playing Bass Guitar,but I don't have my bass yet

Some people from TalkBass told me to NOT get a Fretless,Why not?? And they also said that an Essex would be a good guitar for a beginner..but when i get good,I would like to play a little rock,or some hardcore...

I payed about 400 bucks on my Clarinet,and I got that one on a DEAL!! And the bass that I'm looking at is 110$ heh

What do you Suggest?
  2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Got any friends that play? If you do, then head out to a few stores with them and let them help you figure out what you like. If not, then consider finding an instructor and get their input.

As for fretless, there is nothing wrong with starting on fretless if that is the style that you see yourself playing. Get a bass that you picture yourself playing a year from now.

3. I totally agree...
    Also...look at your budget and determine exactly how much your willing to spend on a bass and amp. There are alot of different brands and makes out there, so it would be good to know what your limits are.

4. My suggestion would be any one of these starter packs.

Squier Bass Pak

Convenience and value is the name of the game with these all inclusive packages. A Squier Affinity P-Bass is paired with an amp and packaged with all the accessories you'll need to plug in and play! This package was designed by professionals who know that beginners need to have affordable quality in both the amp and the bass.

Ibanez IJSB190 Jumpstart Electric Bass Package

You've got everything you need: axe, amp, cord, instruction book video, and more. Don't confuse Jumpstart packages with other value packs that contain bottom shelf generic grade equipment. Jumpstart has name brand, good stuff that you can still use when you get good yourself.

Silvertone LB11 Bass and Amplifier Package

The Silvertone Bass Package comes with everything you need. Featuring the Silvertone SSLB-11 "Precision" style 4-string bass (34" long scale, 20 fret Maple neck with Rosewood fretboard, 1 split "P" style pickup, 1 volume and 1 tone control, chrome die-cast enclosed tuning machines, fully adjustable chrome bridge), the Silvertone Bass package also includes the BA-10 bass amp (10 watts RMS, 7" bass driver, 3-band EQ, headphone jack), GT-8 tuner, gig bag, strap, cable, pickpack, and instructional video.

Also get yourself a good Teacher.

5. Wildside

Jan 12, 2004
    theater of pain
    I think the peavey millenium series basses are really good beginner level basses