Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which kind of Strings should i use for my warwick 5?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by oldirtymoney, Jul 22, 2002.

1. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    anyone got a idea on what kind of strings i should use on my warwick 5 string. I play slap, rock, funk

2. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    whatever sounds best to you.

although i suppose thats not really the answer youre looking for. i like elixirs, DRs, and i just put on a set of danelectro strings that i really really like.

3. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Do you like the strings that were on it when you bought it? (I'm presumming you bought it new). If so, stick with the same ones (I did). They are Warwicks own Black Label strings. regarded as one of the higher grade strings around, normally around £30 (uk sterling) a set

4. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    ga_edwards, do you find the black labels rough at all? what about compared to the red labels? i used a set of reds for a recording session one time, and while the tone was great, i couldnt stand the fact that my fingertips felt like they were being torn off. just curious, im always up for experimenting, and if the tone is similar and the feel is not, i might try them out.

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    stainless DR Loriders!!!!

they get the most growl and punch out of these basses than any other string i've tried. putting nickels on a warwick should be outlawed - it totally kills all the growl they're famous for.

of course...IMO YMMV

6. peaveyfury32

peaveyfury32 Guest

Jul 22, 2002
    Ringgold, Ga
    for a good funk sound since u do a lot of pops and slaps i like ernie balls hybrid or super slinkys. They have a lot of strech to them.

7. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    yeah i have played Roto sound, ghs boomers, Like every kind of ernie balls, Dr's (which the last strings i bought and were really good) I think i might try some dr s

8. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    I have tried several brands of strings on my Thumb BO5. I had good results with GHS boomers. Since the bass is not really bright anyway, the nickel was perfect for that dark, nasal tone. I currently have ZON stainless on it which suck because they die too quickly and the B is not tapered and too long : completely muddy ! On another note I really liked the Lo-Riders steels. If only they came with a tapered B ! Rotosound swing bass 66 were the worst strings I've ever put on that particular bass (die way too quickly). Since Thumb basses make poor slap basses in my books, the issue of steel / nickel is not so important IMO.

Ari

9. I had both Black Labels and Red Labels on my P and yes they are both pretty rough strings. Personally i don't care if strings are rough. But the Blacks are a lot better than red labels (tension is much more even and the sound is a bit growlier, even on a P)

10. The warwick yellow label are supposed to have the growl and those are nickel

11. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    as for non-taperwound strings a problem on warwicks there are 2 options...

1) with DR's you can order a set with a tapered B or E or whatever you want

2) or you can be like me and jam the string end in there with a screwdriver :D hey it works, and i think the tone is better than non-tapered.

12. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I' m with warwick5s except I prefer the hi-beams myself.;)

13. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    1)I suppose it's too much of a hassle to order this in France.

2)I already did this but I prefer the tone of a tapered B. The problem with the ZON strings is that they are too thick at the headstock so the winding cannot be done properly on my Thumb.

Ari

14. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000

15. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001

16. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    i just got a warwick thumb 5 a few weeks ago, and was wondering what gauge they came in. i am a follower of ryknow from mudvayne, and use HEAVY gauge strings most of the time. i personally like DR strings, but they only make taper B strings in .130, when i like .135. any ideas? and for the record, DR strings are best for a warwick.

http://www.hymnsofsaturn.com7