Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which kind should i get? Please help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Snakebyte, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Snakebyte

Snakebyte

Nov 12, 2002
    Hi, Im new to this site and to the world of bass fiends. I play a little but i don't even own my own bass yet. I plan on purchasing a bass in the next week and i was just wondering if anyone had suggestions on which make i should aim for. I want a 4 string electric bass. I dont really care about unnecessary features or any slight performance improvements certain companies may offer. Im looking for something thats looks cool and will catch peoples attention, would it be wise to attempt to paint a bass myself? If not then which brand would offer some unique basses? Another consideration is cost, i plan on cheap bass, im not a pro yet so im not that worried about performance. Anyways any suggestions anyone can give would be much appreciated.

Thanx

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Well, I'd define "unnecessary features" as features that look good but don't make the bass any better-ie unique looks or a paint job. You can get one of the new Rogue basses that fits your bill exactly: fancy-looking top, really cheap, no unnecessary features like good sound or tone. Or you can get a MIM Fender Jazz or P-bass or a used MTD Kingston that will be relatively inexpensive and will actually play well and sound nice. Don't worry about showing off or trying to get people's attention; that's a guitar player's job and they will always do it better than bassists will. Worry about being a good player-it's the bassist's only real shot at getting noticed.

3. Hey welcome to TB, if you are looking a good, in-expensive bass go for a squier p-bass, there great for starting out on and they wont break your savings account!!

Morty

4. If that's all you care about, go with the B.C. Rich Beast.

5. Snakebyte

Snakebyte

Nov 12, 2002
    I would disagree with you about guitarists getting attention, its the opposite in my band, I'm the lead singer and the bassist. I get just as much attention as my guitarists. I don't just want a guitar for looks but pretty much any bass will work as long as it makes noise when i plug it into an amp. I really want a cool looking one.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have a strong sense that our collective chain is being yanked. While I always buy a bass primarily for its looks, I always buy a model likewise known for its great tone. That way, I get the best of both worlds.

If you're serious, I won't be the last one to express the opinion that you are using some mighty dumb criteria for bass selection.

7. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Nope, you're not last. I'll agree, and I probably won't be last, either.

8. wUt R u TaLkIngG aBoUt? L0OkZ r MoSt ImPrTnT tHiNg 4 bAsE! dUdE gEt a pInK bAsE aNd RoKk oUt LiKe tHeEz gUyZZZZZ!!!

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Snakebyte

Snakebyte

Nov 12, 2002
    Im dont really think looks are most important but i also trust that im not gonna get a bass that sounds like ****.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'm don't think so, neither.