1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which late celeb bassist do you think owned this one?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SKennedy32, Jun 18, 2019.

1. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Except he’s still alive.

jd56hawk, bobyoung53 and Clark W like this.
  2. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    Sunny California
    This is a red flag in my book:

The present owner just wants it to find a great new home—someone who will actually play it and take care of it.

It's very likely the seller's priority is to cash in on it with the highest sale price he can get.

jd56hawk likes this.
  3. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    Sunny California
    Wasn't Glenn affiliated with Rickenbacker for basses? So I doubt it was his.

4. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Mostly harmless Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    upload_2019-6-18_20-8-42. .

Spidey2112, Polk Salad and Mushroo like this.
  5. You're right. I was sure I saw something about him dying. Well that's good news!

6. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    and still do around here...used

7. Shovelbone

Shovelbone Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Yonderville Georgia
    Is Nigel Tufnel of Spinal Tap deceased?

bobyoung53 likes this.
  8. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    IME “celebrity” is a very casual term in LA

9. 2F/2F

2F/2F

May 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Looked way better when stock. And a pickguard swap does not equal "custom" in my book.

These were very nice because of the Thin-Skin (A.K.A. Flash-Coat) finish on the body. They would eventually wear out very similarly to the original '50s pre-Fullerplast Fenders. I pick up Flash-Coat Fenders whenever I can swing it, as they were incredible looking, and were not made for very long.

Nothing else on these 60th Ps was to my liking, though. That said, if the price was right (i.e. 900 or less), I'd get one just for the body, and I'd sell the modern-style neck off of it to fund a licensed neck with 7.25" radius, fat C, old-style skinny frets, and old-style reverse tuners.

The celebrity thing and the story around it? Pft. Typical seller crap. Even if it is true (big if, BTW), it doesn't add market value to the bass. That's probably a $1,250 bass, absolute tops, and you'd really need to find the right buyer, looking for a dead mint one.

10. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
  11. TheGreatSealof

TheGreatSealof Gold Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Deptford, NJ
    Fishing for a sucker. It is a Fender 60th anniversary issue. I seriously doubt that a celebrated artist owned the instrument. However, it is possible that the artist purchased an anniversary issue, used it. It is definitely not a vintage instrument.

12. Part of the high price might be that it's supposed to be a custom shop Fender.

13. Koshchei

Koshchei

Mar 17, 2019
    Peterborough, ON
    I'm going to go with Hotblack Desiato. Though, he is only dead for tax reasons.

14. You never know, Petty was actually more of a bass player than a guitar player and owned all sorts of nice basses.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    Snibborwocky likes this.
  15. Tom also played Rics, P basses, Danelectros etc, he had an extensive bass collection, lots of old obscure and classic basses.

16. So someone doesn't claim it's their bass and was stolen, you never know.

17. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

Actually, it belonged to Juan Epstein. It comes with a certificate of authenticity signed "Epstein's mother."
    ('Welcome Back Kotter' content...sorry, I'm old)

18. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Well, white pearl pickguards was one of his signature looks, along with black hardware and red velvet straps.

Same for Tom Petty, another artist whose signature look was white pearl pickguards.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    74hc likes this.
  19. Polk Salad

Polk Salad Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2007
    Well played sir, well played.

animated_1557374294410001.