Which leg do you put most of your weight on?

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by fryBASS, May 19, 2007.

1. Left leg

12.5%
  2. Right leg

34.4%
  3. Even distribution

35.9%
  4. I use a stool

26.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. fryBASS

fryBASS

Aug 8, 2006
    New Haven, CT
    I found that I almost always have my weight on my right leg, and noticed that now my right leg is stronger then my left. Just kinda curious to what others do.

2. Rob Sleeper

Rob Sleeper

Oct 13, 2005
    Chicago
    Sorry, I use a stool when playing but when I do stand, I like the weight on my left leg. I never have any pain while playing

3. Basschair

Basschair .............. Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    When standing, I usually find that my weight is shifted towards my left. Lately I've been making a conscious effort to change it up: I'll try to equalize the distribution, to not lock my knees, but sometimes I feel like there's more strain on my lower back. Sometimes I'll also put one leg back.

Man, I've got to pick something and go with it...

4. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I put more weight on my right leg. I also do this while playing electric if i'm just standing still a lot.

I feel like the higher i am on the bass [range wise]-the more i am balanced. Thumb position-i'm almost the opposite in that most of my weight is on my left or it's pretty even.

5. fryBASS

fryBASS

Aug 8, 2006
    New Haven, CT
    Yeah thats how I am

7. BassinCT

BassinCT

Jun 17, 2006
    Connecticut
    I know teachers who teach one way or another, but a violin professor spoke to me about this following one of my sophomore bass juries in college. He asked me if it was a conscious decision to shift more weight to the right foot- and suggested that I consider the evidence that such a posture over an extended period can lead to lower back problems. He knew first-hand.

When I was assigned a new bass teacher who was new to the school that year, that was one of the first things we changed. I am more comfortable in standing positions now, but I primarily use a stool these days.

Please don't mis-interpret this post :bag:
    If you really want to have an earful, play your bass for a physical therapist. I played for my uncle(therapist) and he told me the same thing when I demonstrated the weight shifted-right posture. Be healthy. peace!

8. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I've had 3 inguinal hernia repairs; one on the left, two on the right. I'm going with the odds and favoring the left. One more injury and my d*** will probably fall off.

On a sidenote: there's been an FDA recall of the Kugel surgical mesh used in the repairs. Yeah, like they're going to get it back! Geez!

Riis

9. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    I tend to shift it back and forth every once in a while, but I'd say I spend more time on the right.

10. mcnaire2004

mcnaire2004

Jan 17, 2006
    everywhere
    Even if you think you put even weight on one leg it is increadibly hard to do. You would have to stand directly behind the bass to pull that off.

11. jdapodaca

jdapodaca

May 25, 2006
    El Paso, Texas
    I'm not sure this makes any sense. "Put even weight on one leg"?

12. mcnaire2004

mcnaire2004

Jan 17, 2006
    everywhere
    Well, I meant even weight on both legs.

Just saying that without standing directly behind the bass, it would be hard to evenly have your weight between your legs.

13. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    I stand with my weight distributed equally and the bass is positioned quite traditionally.

14. fryBASS

fryBASS

Aug 8, 2006
    New Haven, CT
    :smug:

I made sure today during rehersal to keep my weight evenly distributed, and I think it helped my technique out a lot! The bass was still in the same possision as before as well.

15. As someone who has played professionally for over 25 years, I would highly recommend keeping your weight evenly distributed between both legs. Furthermore, you should learn to balance the weight on your feet, so that you are not sitting on your heels. You might be OK for a few years but eventually, you are likely to develop problems if you adopt an unbalanced stance. My first teacher taught me to stand on the right leg, with the left foot tipped up to stabilize the back of the bass. By the time I was 21, I had lower back trouble. Also, my right heel was often painful.

The best bass lesson I ever had was from my Alexander Technique teacher. Seriously. At first I thought she was out to lunch but I tried what she suggested and since then I have never had discomfort when playing. A couple of years ago, my band opened for Dave Holland and I stood side-stage during his show. He looked like he was standing totally straight, and just happened to be holding a bass. In other words, he didn't change the way he was standing to accommodate the instrument. He seemed to have no trouble getting around on the bass.

All this aside, I have seen some pretty great bassists who have weird habits.

I hope this is helpful.

KL

16. Ive found that I put slightly more weight on my right leg, not because it is stronger, but because while standing, I sort of try to re-create the feeling of standing up straight - especially in the sense of having an ideal posture. I have to "think" the feeling of leaning back, which counteracts the tendency to hunch over the bass. For some reason, this results in slighty more weight being on my right leg. Ive seen this posture with alot of italian bass players for some reason.

17. Is this the funniest thread ever or what?

Edit: Sorry guys, I'm was in a sarcastic mode.

18. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I play jazz, but almost ALL of my weight is on my right leg.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021