Which looks better on my Jazz Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tony G, Jan 24, 2006.

1. White Perloid

2. Black Perloid

1. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    This is just superficial stuff here, but I can't decide which pickguard looks better on my Jazz bass. I've had the white perloid one on for a while, and I think its time for a change. But when I put the black pickguard on, it is hard to get used too. So, I ask for my fellow bassists advice on this stupid yet imperative subject. Which one do you like better?
  2. shnapper

May 1, 2005
    Out of those two choices I like the white over the black on the natural finish. Although I just put a solid black on my P bass with the same finish and I like it better over solid white go figure.

Something about that perloid black doesn't rattle my nuts on that finish.......:D
  3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    Interesting.... do you think solid black would look better? I would feel like that is too much like marcus miller's jazz bass though....
  4. White, It goes better with the inlays. The black doesnt blend with the bass, I think it has something to do with the natural finish.
  5. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    also, I'm a fan of the white perloid pickguard because I feel it kind of matches the inlays... but the black does kind of stand out nicely too....ughhh...I can't decide.
  6. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006

Is it because of the inlays on the bass in my avy that makes me think the black pickguard looks hot on that bass?
  7. i'm usually a big fan of black pickgaurds but in this instants i really like the white. The black doesnt go very really with this. stick with the white.
  8. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Yeah, I think solid black is the best choice but of these two I reckon the white perloid is the way to go.

9. white perloid if I had it :)
  10. Greg Jones

Greg Jones

Dec 1, 2005
    Thornton, CO

Yes. I was looking at the his bass and your avatar and thinking "Hmm...it's not the natural finish cause yours looks killer with the black."

Someone else pointed out the white inlays and I do believe that's IT.

Nice basses though. BOTH OF 'EM!!!
  11. i think i tort pickguard would look awsome on that bass
  12. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006

It the bass in my avatar isn't my bass. Its just a stock fender photo from their website.

If you mean the two pics of the basses I showed talking about the pick guard, they are the same bass.
  13. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    so far its a 2:1 ratio in favor of the white perloid pickguard.
  14. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

+1 for Tort!!! (But that's not what you asked.)

I am usually a big fan of Black PG's on natural but the black pearloid isn't working for me. If it were SOLID black, that's another story.

All that said, the white does a great job of picking up the inlays -- I think the white is definitely the way to go on this bass.
  15. AFlyOnGeddysWal

Sep 27, 2004
    Tort solves everything, or the white pearloid. :smug:
  16. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    haha, I'm not a big fan of the tortoise pickguard. The color kind of reminds me of bloody vomit.
  17. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    I see a few people voting for black, but not making a case for it here. For those that like the black, please explain why.
  18. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    White pearloid. I think flat black would look best though.
  19. Volk

Dec 18, 2005
    South Jersey
    I like the black, it provides a nice contrast, but as said before flat black would look better.