Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Loooper A/B Box

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by echo008, May 12, 2005.

1. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Hi,
    I am interested in purchasing a looper but I would like to know exactly what i need, let me explain
    what I have on my pedal board
    Sadowsky outboard pre> Tuner > NYC Big Muff > EBS Bass IQ > Analogman Chorus > Demeter compulator.

I would like to be able to switch on the sadowsky and the compulator in a single stomp and be able to just leave them on, while having the control to turn off and on the other pedals when ever I want.
    What kind of a loooper do you think would work best for this?
    thanks for your time
    - Tom

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    would you not want the big muff in a loop also? or is yours modded for true bypass?
    Taking that out of the equation, I'd suggest a two loop loooper with a master bypass control.
    I have a three loop version with master bypass.
    Each loop has it's own on/off control, so using that in conjunction with the master bypass switch I can bring 1-3 loops in/out at the same time.

3. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    A single loop, loooper.

I am confused though, generally you would put your pre-amp last in line. However I can only assume you are using it more as and a effect and less as a pre. That being said here is what I would do.

Bass
    Tuner
    Muff
    EBS
    Chorus
    Looper
    Compulator
    Sadowsky
    Amp.

Usually I would put chorus last, but I don't know how well it would work feeding it a line level signal from the Sadowsky. It might be fine in that case put it after the looper and then hit your amp.

What is your setup? Are you driving a Poweramp or going into a head?

4. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Also +1, Master bypass would be good on a multiloooper.

5. echo008

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Hi David,
    yes i want the muff in the loop but not in the same one as the sadowsky and the compulator,
    what I am thinking is that my main sound 95% of the time will be the Sad pre > Tuner > Compulator.
    So Im thinking I would like to be able to turn them on no matter what in a single stomp.
    As for the other effects Im not sure if I should just loop them in one loop or possibly get seperate ins and outs for them....
    - Tom

6. echo008

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Hi,
    I am running to an EDEN WT400
    I figured the sadowsky first because Im thinking its acting more as an onboard pre for my passive basses, but I am going to try your lineup and see how that works. So a master bypass to bypass what exactly, Please excuse my ignorance about this but would I be bypassing the effects to just use what i would consider my main sound?

7. echo008

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    hey! by the way David at Loooper suggested this

" 'I'd be looking at a 4 or 5 Loooper with either the A/B Loops Option or the ABY Loops Option.....

I hope this helps. Please feel free to ask questions, and thanks!!!
    David"

- Tom

8. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    The master bypass is cool because it bypasses the whole loooper, lets say you have multiple loops actve, say you have the Comp/Sadowsky loop going as well as the muff loop and you need to pop back to an uneffected signal, hit the master bypass and there you go. Same idea as using a loop to control multiple effects.

So the Sadowsky is basically making your passive bass and active bass correct? You are not driving a power amp so I suppose you would be fine running effects after it. However I would still run the compressor after your other effects, though that means you pretty much have to place your effects before the pre because its has to be next to the compulator. Why do you want to be able to switch the Pre and the Comp on and off together? It seems that the pre would be used all the time, and everything else would be the variables. You may be best served using the Loooper for the Muff as David suggested.

9. echo008

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    I definitely see why master bypass is needed but It also seems I might just be complicating my setup by adding a loooper.
    While the sadowsky is on alot it is not on all the time, I only use it with my 79 P bass. I have been using an active bass as much.
    What I had originally in mind was to really just be able to turn on one or two pedals with one stomp with the abiltiy to add the others not in another loop really but seperately as I wanted them on.

As you pointed out as well I would need to run the Sadowsky after the effects to use it with the demeter, which I am not so thrilled about.
    I figured on pretty much using the compulator most of the time so it just seemed to make sense to have them in the same loop.

As for the NYC Muff it has True Bypass. I guess I need to re evaluate exactly what it is I am wanting to do, but can I ask yoiu another quick question :)

If you were me how would you go about hooking it up?
    again if it isint obvious enough I am new to using pedal effects and I just want to get it sounding as good as possible.
    thanks
    - Tom

10. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    OK now that I undestand the situation more clearly here is what I would probably do, with a few possible variations:

Get an ABY pedal. Plug your P bass into the sadowsky, then into the A input. Now plug your other bass into the B input. Take the Y output and go to your first effect. You have quite easily made switching basses a breeze, simply pick up a bass on step on its corresponding switch.

Now as for Pedal order, I would suggest playing around with the the order to see if any of them effect each others tone when placed in different order. I would go Tuner,Muff,IQ,Chorus and Compulator last. Once again order may not make a whole hell of a lot of difference, but I like my dynamic effects (Distortion,EQ,etc) to go before time based effects (chorus,delay,reverb). In fact because of that I would probobly try the compulator before the chorus, the reason being I don't really think compressed chorus would be as pleasing, especially a fine unit like the Analogman. You start killing the dynamics of that Chorus and it may not be nearly as "sweet" sounding, but compressed fuzz and envelope filters (not to mention playing heavy handed if were me) is quite beneficial IMO. In fact I now suggest trying the comp before the chorus, my original thought was the the compressor was being used to keep peaks out of the amp and do some protection but now it seems that it is used for effect and that changes everything :) I really don't see the need for the Loooper, if you do find yourself in a place where you need to switch off multiple effects it may be useful, but I think you can probobly do fine without.

Well hopefully that was not to long winded, hope it made sense. Like I said though its a good place to start, but if it sounds good it is good regardless of how you put our pedals together.

11. echo008

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Hi... Definitely not long winded and you pretty much nailed my situation, I really dont need the loooper at this point, but I am going to take your advice and try running the Compulator before the analogman, honestly the analogman came today and the Demeter is coming tomorrow supposedly so that will be the first thing I try. I should have said earlier I am using it pretty much for effect I know theres a difference.
    When switching between the two basses I can pretty much just use the Mute switch on the Sadowsky to make the quick change without any harsh pops or any other noise at all.

I definitely found out the Muff sounds best behind the EBS Bass IQ, and adding the analogman today I have found what you are saying to be true about running it after the Muff and Envelope as well. The Chorus sounds beautiful, I added the Depth Switch option and I am very happy I did!

So thus far I have:
    Sadowsky
    Tuner
    Muff
    Envelope
    Compulator
    Chorus

Thanks!!!
    - Tom

12. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Right on! Post a review of the Compulator after you have used it for a bit, I am interested in one, but its a rather large purchase without ever hearing it. Glad I could be of help, good luck.

13. echo008

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Again many thanks for your help, Ill let you know how the Compulator is working out, I had a chance to play one awhile back and loved it, but it was not with any other effects. Anyway, I cant wait to get it.
    - Tom